Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First Post: Hello: Big Files

H All,

I am new to the community and this is my first post on this forum. I am a designer (intern architect) and teacher (teach UXD/IA grad courses) and researcher. I use Adobe CC but am transitioning to Xara/Krita because I don't like Adobe's subscription model and I find that there are very good tools for less money and with more favorable licensing terms.

Anyway, I've been slowly acclimating to Xara for drawing for a while and I am pleasantly surprised that it seems to handle large files very well. I have quite a large sketch page going (approx. 30x40") and have it filled with sketches and notes and there is zero lag in the brush strokes. In illustrator, I have traditionally had lagging brush strokes when files get this large.

Have others had a positive experience with Xara handling large files? Any negative experiences with respect to file size?

Thanks,
    Joe

Default Re: First Post: Hello: Big Files

Welcome, Joe.

My only real complaint about page size is just that--I wish it could go larger for some of my work.

I don't use brushes much so I really cannot comment on them on large dimension files. I do come to a point that maxing out a page size and using high resolution bitmaps can begin to tax XDP. But as you note, not like in Illy where lags become very apparent all too quickly.

Much of what I do needs to be returned to the client as AI or PS files. But as much of the drawing that I can do in XDP I do so. Far quicker to get from point a to point b. While I have certain gripes (and express them here all too frequently), there really isn't as good of a bog-standard vector drawing application for the PC as XDP.

Again, welcome.

Mike

Welcome to TalkGraphics Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jmanganelli View Post
    Have others had a positive experience with Xara handling large files? Any negative experiences with respect to file size?
    I often work with very large files. The files have up to 40 layers and mixed types of graphics. I prepare the files for export to PSD.

The most critical moments that slows down Xara’s performens (sometimes does work not possible):

1. Raster graphics, which are imported directly into the Xara.
    2. Custom brushes
    3. Live Effects
    4. Masks or eraser tool

Some tips:
    1. Create new versions of files(work_1, work_2...).
    2. Create bitmap copy of the finished elements(clipped bitmaps, bitmaps and vectors with effects, bitmap brushes(vector with transparency too)).
    3. Delete original elements. You can always take the original from the previous file.
    4. Convert vector brushes to shapes.

Sometimes, when the export is not possible, because file size is too large:
    Utilities-->Options-->Tune-Ups-->Undo size-->Unlimited
    You can play with different settings. Close program and try again. It often helps.

In general, of course, the subject is extensive.

Krita can export CMYK PSD files. This is a huge achievement (other programs I do not know. Besides Photoshop course). But Krita does not export guides and does not support smart objects. This two essential elements for commercial use PSD files (wash, the text is converted to a bitmap too).

A month ago I installed Krita. However, this installation caused problems in Xara’s workspace(top layer becomes non-editable). I deleted Krita and restored the system.
    Be careful!

@digitalphaser - that is a glitch that occurs occasionally though I cannot remember why offhand; it happened to me and i did not have krita installed at the time - not saying that you are wrong, but if it happens again check a new blank document, and if that is ok then import the old xar into a new one [worked for me]

@joe - large raster objects in xara are the killer as has been said... if you stick to vector it tends to stay fast
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    @digitalphaser - that is a glitch that occurs occasionally though I cannot remember why offhand; it happened to me and i did not have krita installed at the time - not saying that you are wrong, but if it happens again check a new blank document, and if that is ok then import the old xar into a new one [worked for me]
    Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    @joe - large raster objects in xara are the killer as has been said... if you stick to vector it tends to stay fast
    I would not be so categorical.
    In particularly severe cases, after manipulation with bitmap objects, make a bitmap copy and remove the original. Close Xara. Now cache ist clear.
    Open again and do more.

Vector object on which hangs a few live effects+texture is bigger problem than a bitmap. Or photorealistic bitmap tracing? It's a real killer.

ok - but if you make a bitmap copy at default res you make it 96dpi, that can change things, but it's not what i usually want so i actually have my bitmap copy set to 300dpi by default [registry/Xareg change]

clearing the cache helps agreed

[almost all] live effects and texture are raster in xara, so bitmap [ bitmap overlay in the case of live effect]

bitmap tracing is slow, yes.. if photorealistic trace means a far higher number of shapes than is normal
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks, All, for responses. I'll keep that in mind when manipulating raster graphics. So far mostly I've done straight drawing, so I've seen no hangups. I've done a little image manipulation but nothing with many layers or effects yet.

More and more, I have needs for maps that exceed 72 x 72 inch in scale. Many virtual tabletop applications (software used to host online D&D type games) have 72 x 72 inch (usually 72 - 100 ppi) placeholders for maps. Sometimes I create maps that extend beyond a single 72 x 72 inch area, so that the whole map is sliced into 72 x 72 inch chunks, which means I sometimes desire to create originals in scales like 144 inches x 288 inches, something Xara won't let me do. Prior to version 9, Xara Xtreme Pro 5 was the previous version I was using and though it would let me create 24 x 36 inch maps, I couldn't go much bigger. Because most of my maps contain many layers, some of my larger maps exceed 100 MB in file size, even in Xara format.

yes well I once made a book in xar format with about 80 300dpi A5 drawings in it - it was over 360 MB in size - it is not the way I would do it today... but then I only had xara or photoshop to choose from
    Nothing lasts forever...