Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Hi, Is it possible to download an existing site?

I created my website in Xara Web Designer Premium 7 and now have 9. Is it possible to download the site into XARA WDP9 and edit it?
    Thanks!
    Wayne

Default Re: Hi, Is it possible to download an existing site?

If you have the .web document file, yes. If you are asking can you download the website from the web, then the answer is kind of.

You can download page by page the content in more or less the same order it appears on the page. Some tweaking will be needed.

Navigation bars will have to be recreated as will anything that is on layers.

Thanks
    I built most of my graphics in CorelDraw. Maybe it would be better to just re-build them?

Wayne, As Gary said, if you have the .web file that you created with Web Designer 7, then you can just edit it in the newer version. No rebuilding should be necessary.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

If your graphics are bitmap (PNG, GIF, JPEG) then they are fine. Do you not have the WD 7 document file?

Now I will ask a really dumb question: where do I find the web file? On my website's server?

I may have the files, of the website, on my old Vista computer....which died.

If the computer died, but the hard drive is still intact, you can get cables that will allow you to connect the OLD hard drive to a USB port on the new computer, and use it (effectively) as a large flash drive. Just pull the old hard drive out and all the data should be perfectly fine.

If the Hard drive was the bit that died, you may still be able to recover it the same way if you can get it to spin up once.

What was wrong with your computer?
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I think it may be the hard drive. Not sure. It could be the OS. I will pull it and plug it into my hard drive enclosure.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Heartstrings; 21 May 2015 at 05:13 PM.

Probably the hard drive. They fail more often than anything else. Large volume external hard drives are pretty inexpensive now for doing back-ups, and there are some cloud based backup schemes as well. Always a good idea. At the very least, back up important files on a thumb drive.

Here's a older tutorial about how to recreate a website that may be useful http://www.xaraxone.com/guest/guest91/