Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: PUBLISHING CHANGED FILES ONLY NOT WORKING?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Are you sure this is correct? 32Mbps or 6Mbps would be more like it. If all you're getting is as you state it will take forever.
    Yes, I have internet from a cable company. They advertise 15mbps download speeds, and 1mpbs upload. I have read that most ISP's give fast download speeds so you can stream movies, etc., and then cut the upload speeds drastically. It has always been less than 1mpbs, and the sites uploaded in just a few minutes, even the very first time.

OMG - the site I started uploading 3 hours ago - was at 92 percent completion a few minutes ago - now it says it is 10 percent complete! But... it seems to be going faster.

Previously, the Percentage Complete would increase every few seconds. Not any more.

Other uploads work just fine.

Just to be sure, I just made a small change on an old 13-page Cute SiteBuilder file and uploaded it - less than 15 seconds to convert and publish.

I will try uploading a video to our video hosting company and see how long that takes.

Okay, I uploaded a 499mb video to iPlayerHD in about 90 minutes.

It looks like the total size of the website on the folder is about 40mb.

So why should it take 90 minutes to upload a 499 mb file... and 3 hours to upload most of a 40mb website?

I went back to Xara Version 10 and tried to upload the file that I had converted to Version 11. It converts to html, but won't upload at all.

I tried another web site that I had converted to Version 11, and was able to publish it with the Version 10 software.

Thank goodness for Xara's automatic backups.

Okay, I uploaded a 499mb video to iPlayerHD in about 90 minutes.

It looks like the total size of the website on the folder is about 40mb.

So why should it take 90 minutes to upload a 499 mb file... and 3 hours to upload most of a 40mb website?

I went back to Xara Version 10 and tried to upload the file that I had converted to Version 11. It converts to html, but won't upload at all.

I tried another web site that I had converted to Version 11, and was able to publish it with the Version 10 software.

Thank goodness for Xara's automatic backups.

Update: I found the last version that I did with WD Version 10, opened it in Version 10, made the one change I wanted, and published it - everything normal. Completed in less than 10 minutes.

So for now, I guess the moral is: Don't use Version 11 just yet.

All I can say on your upload speed is if that's cable you'd be better off using the old copper telephone network.

Could you try http://www.speedtest.net/ and share your results?

However if your having such slow upload speeds it's more important that we find out if it is in fact uploading the site in it's entirety, as if this is the case with such poor uploads it's imperative it only uploads changes.

Can you attach your web/xar file?

Do you use Filezilla or similar FTP software?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

1 megabit per second uploading is fairly common, certainly is here anyway, most ISPs operate this way Egg.
    I'm on ADSL+ (ADLS1 that is, we can't get ADSL 2 this far from the exchange) by phone line, my max DL is 20 Megabit but our upload speed is set by the ISP to only 1 Mbps.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    All I can say on your upload speed is if that's cable you'd be better off using the old copper telephone network.

Could you try http://www.speedtest.net/ and share your results?

However if your having such slow upload speeds it's more important that we find out if it is in fact uploading the site in it's entirety, as if this is the case with such poor uploads it's imperative it only uploads changes.

Can you attach your web/xar file?

Thanks Egg, but I'm a little confused. The upload speed results I mentioned before came from speedtest.net, confirmed by the Time Warner speed test. I just checked again on speedtest.net: just over 16mpbs download, 0.72mbps upload speed. That is what Time Warner advertises.

I used to use the phone company's copper wire network - I had the fastest dial-up service available... I think it was 256kbps - a quarter of a megabyte. It would take a half hour to an hour to upload my Trellix/Cute SiteBuilder sites. When I got Time Warner cable, it would only take 10 minutes or so.

I've had Xara since Version 7, and it has always taken longer than Cute SiteBuilder. But not 3 hours.

I have solved the problem: I found a backup site that I had not opened in (and converted to) Version 11, I opened it in Version 10 and it uploaded in about 10 minutes.

Maybe I am wrong, but when I sit and watch the upload progress and I see graphic after graphic after graphic uploading, and htm page after htm page after htm page uploading... and then watch it "remove" graphic after graphic after graphic - dozens of them - and remove a couple of dozen htm pages - doesn't that indicate that it is republishing the entire site and not just the one page with the correction on it?

After I publish once, if I make another change and publish again without - without - exiting Xara, then it only uploads the page with the change on it.

But... if I exit Xara, and boot it up again later, then even if there is just one word changed on one page, I sit and watch graphic and graphic upload, and htm after htm page upload, and then watch all of the "old" ones being removed.

It has been doing that ever since Version 7.

I'll live with it. I love Xara. But I am not happy with the files that I open in Xara Version 11 taking several hours to publish.

I will stick with Xara Web Designer Premium Version 10, at least for now.

If you know of any internet service provider in Laredo, Texas who offers what Time Warner does - 15mpbs download and 1mpbs upload - or better - for under $100, please let me know and I'll buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by steve.ledger View Post
    1 megabit per second uploading is fairly common, certainly is here anyway, most ISPs operate this way Egg.
    I'm on ADSL+ (ADLS1 that is, we can't get ADSL 2 this far from the exchange) by phone line, my max DL is 20 Megabit but our upload speed is set by the ISP to only 1 Mbps.
    I Steve, I just saw this post... thanks for backing me up on that. I don't claim to know anything about the internet, but I can read what they advertise.

I'm not complaining about the 1mpbs upload limit - my problem is that Version 11 of Xara is taking hours to publish, instead of minutes like Version 10... and all the way back to Version 7. I suspect that something ain't right. Files created with Version 10 still upload normally (in a few minutes) when I upload them with Version 10.

I will just wait and see what happens.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by steve.ledger View Post
    By the way Steve, what is ADSL? Is it expensive? How would I find it... what do I search for? I have an unused phone line here... I will search for ADSL in Laredo and see what I can find. ISDN doesn't seem to be very fast.

My publishing experience with WD11P so far has been no different to version 10.
    Maybe you could try using DebugView and run this before publishing with v11 to try and highlight where the delay is occurring?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/.../bb896647.aspx

Hi Ed,

The reason I asked this is once you've uploaded your site via Xara, you can open the site to view in Filezilla and look at the date stamps of all the files. If they're all the same date and roughly the same time you can say that the whole site has been uploaded. If they are of different dates etc then only changed pages have been uploaded.

I can't see any difference between 10 & 11 upload speeds either.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host