Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default PUBLISHING CHANGED FILES ONLY NOT WORKING?

Hi-

I have already uploaded a test site with the images etc. and am now
    simply adding content etc.

Although I've checked the area for FAST PUBLISH CHANGED FILES ONLY
    it appears as though XARA continues to upload the image files already there.

Am I missing something?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Bob

Default Re: PUBLISHING CHANGED FILES ONLY NOT WORKING?

Bob - I am not real sure but part of what seems like the same images are being loaded again might in fact be just Xara checking to see what content is new vs old.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Bob - I am not real sure but part of what seems like the same images are being loaded again might in fact be just Xara checking to see what content is new vs old.
    GW

Thanks for weighing in on this. I suppose it's possible but based upon another web program I've used, (not adobe) the "upload changed files only" process took about a 1/10 of the time for negligible changes.
    I guess it caught me by surprise because Designer Pro 10 rocks in so many other ways. I can live with it but maybe it's something Xara can tweak in an update...or perhaps, there's something
    I'm missing...

Thanks for the thought GW

Bob

Yeah, I hear you. For me it seems like from time to time it uploads the whole enchilada then the next time it's almost instant.

Some of this could have to do with the traffic at the server. Maybe. I have never been good with the technical things.

I have already uploaded a test site with the images etc. and am now
    simply adding content etc.
    If you're adding content then you're changing the file, so it will need uploading again surely?

In other words if you alter a single page and publish, only that page will be published, pictures and all.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 14 May 2015 at 01:14 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    If you're adding content then you're changing the file, so it will need uploading again surely?
    Egg...yep, I know what you're saying but I'm seeing the SAME jpeg, png numbers each time (along with the NEW content) and it's taking
    the same amount of time as the very first upload procedure. Weird.

It shouldn't be doing this. As an experiment, change anything in a single page and publish. If you have Filezilla look at the date/time-stamp, it should be changed for this page only, the other pages should remain with their old time-stamps.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg

Thanks for the idea! Running out to a meeting now but will try later and see what I discover... Thx, bob

As best I can tell, if I publish a page... keep the Xara file loaded and make a change, then Xara will only publish the change.

However, if I close Xara, then come back later and change just 1 word on 1 page, Xara uploads everything again - every graphic, every page.

Then after it uploads every graphic and every page - with the identical same files that are already there except for the one text file on 1 page - then I have to wait for it to remove all of the "old" graphics and pages... which were the same as the "new" ones.

Now with Version 11, uploads that used to take just a few minutes... are taking hours. I just sent a request to Xara asking for them help on this.

I just made some updates to a 31 page web site (3 variants) and started publishing it more than two and a half hours ago, and it sill only 91 percent done. The Xara file size is only 10.6 mb, and my internet upload speed today has ranged between .32mpbs and .6mbps.

I'm no expert, but it sure seems to me like something is wrong somewhere.

Ed

The Xara file size is only 10.6 mb, and my internet upload speed today has ranged between .32mpbs and .6mbps.
    Are you sure this is correct? 32Mbps or 6Mbps would be more like it. If all you're getting is as you state it will take forever.
    Egg