Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default [B] HOW TO POST SITE CLIENT CAN SEE BUT NO ONE ELSE FOR NOW?[/B]

Hi:

New to Xara Designer Pro 10 for web design work, so please forgive.
    Crunching the manual to catch up.

I've got to build a site for a politician and want to take advantage of
    the ease of one of the "R" templates with RWD aspect.

I would like to be able to get her input during development of this site
    by allowing her to view online. I'll be posting this to an FTP server.

I DON'T want the public to see it though until it's complete.

How can I do this with XARA? Password protect for now?
    Other suggestions? Maybe changing "INDEX" to some other name?

A bit confused on best way to do and ANY THOUGHTS, INPUT, SUGGESTIONS
    would be greatly APPRECIATED!

Many thanks, Bob

Default Re: [B] HOW TO POST SITE CLIENT CAN SEE BUT NO ONE ELSE FOR NOW?[/B]

Bob -- I guess the 'old school' way would be to create a folder called /dev ... for development ... and build your whole site in that folder... with a similar /dev folder on the client's site for them to look at ... but with no links to the /dev folder from the main site.
    After approval, you'd just move all the stuff to the main site.
    Did this recently for a client, but was using old basic HTML code, not Xara XDP or Web Designer. I'm sure they would work fine also as long as your links are relative rather than absolute... like for an image, the link would be something like " /images/happy-politician.jpg " rather than "http://politicalwebsite.com/images/happy-politician.jpg "

Good luck with it!
    Author -- 'Drawing for Money' and 'Self-Publishing Secrets', at Jon404.com

jON

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, that's what I'd like to do but don't think I have that option with this software and template.
    I think it just publishes the whole shootin' match to the server etc into a public folder or such.

Again, I'm EXTREMELY knew with this software for web dev...

Thanks for your thoughts...if I have that option, it's a valid solution.

Use Filezilla to create a new directory on your own server:

After downloading filezilla go to 'File' then 'Site Manager' and then click on 'New Site' and enter your server details.

Once you have done that find your way to where your website is installed and in the bottom right section of filezilla right click and select 'Create Directory' and call it something like 'Websites' and then click on it to open this new directory and create a new directory for each of your clients as needed.

Back in xara upload the new file using your own hosting details and in the 'Publish' tab under 'Web Properties' and under 'Sub-folder' enter the client's folder (copy the path using the 'Remote site' section in filezilla (just above the section showing the files) so for instance you may have: /public_html/websites/client1
    Once uploaded you can send the link to the client. But make sure to exclude this new directory from the search engines using your robots.txt file so if you are saving all client sites to the directory called /websites then your robots.txt file needs to look like this below:

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /websites/*
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

As Xara publishing is agnostic to where it is published, create a DropBox account and for the folder set up permissions to view and publish there.
    Job done.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Cloud....Acorn....THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT SUGGESTIONS!

Cloud, yes, I already use Filezilla. So familiar with that world. Will have to research a bit about where to find the robots.txt file. Good idea!

Acorn, yes, I already use Drop Box a lot and NEVER KNEW I could publish a website to it. I'll have to dig into it to see about the permissions etc.

Both....great ideas and I THANK YOU!

Bob if you do not have a robots.txt file for your own website file then simply create the file and upload it, it is simply a .txt file (if you are in windows then open notepad, enter the text below, save it as a .txt file and upload it to the same folder as your index.htm file

Disallow: *

This text above allows all the files in your public_html folder to be indexed and crawled by the search engines. If you want to create a directory for your clients sites then use the text below (where /yourdirectory/* is the name you decide to give it.

Disallow: /yourdirectory/*
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Cloud

The filezilla method is working just fine! THANKS!

FINDING THOUGH...that even though I have a check mark on (Publish changed files only), XARA continues to re-upload all of the image files etc.)

Maybe I have to chance something somewhere else?

Thanks, Bob