Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default New Adobe Acrobat Document Cloud -- bloatware, or OK?

Got an e-mail from Adobe this morning. About a new version of Acrobat that apparently includes text-recognition scanning. Snap a photo of a document, and it turns it into an editable PDF with the fonts embedded. $15 a month for their Document Cloud, $450 for the desktop version that I HOPE does NOT go to the cloud for the image-to-text conversion, so much for confidentiality.

Anybody know anything about this latest Acrobat product? Is it decent, or just more bloatware?

For that matter, are there any other image-to-PDF programs or apps out there?

And as an aside, is the term 'program' blurring into 'app' now... just like 'typeface' blurred into 'font', back when?
    Author -- 'Drawing for Money' and 'Self-Publishing Secrets', at Jon404.com

Default Re: New Adobe Acrobat Document Cloud -- bloatware, or OK?

I don't think this is new and I have used the feature in my older copy of Acrobat and I was not impressed. Maybe a newer version is more accurate.

Not new, then... I haven't kept up, thanks, Gary.

Just checked the Adobe website, and it is unclear whether or not you need the Cloud scan to make the PDF.

Interesting -- no more support for Flash embedded in PDFs. The new version just won't let you do that, although it will let you run older PDFs with Flash pieces. Too bad... end of honest-to-God Actionscripted tech simulations, with user controlled variables, in PDF wrappers. The technocracy dumbs down, as we continue the shift from a manufacturing to a service and entertainment economy...
    Author -- 'Drawing for Money' and 'Self-Publishing Secrets', at Jon404.com

My upgrade price is the same as always for the standalone version ($199).

Acrobat DC has some bugs that need gotten rid of before I'll upgrade. If I do. Interactive features are buggy at the moment. A few other things as well.

For that matter, are there any other image-to-PDF programs or apps out there?
    There's abbyy fine reader which I've used with excellent results. I doesn't recreate the font though and I can't see a great call for that particular feature.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ABBYY-FineRe...bby+finereader
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

As for other pdf applications, I would generally recommend on of the offerings from PDF-XChange. I believe the free version will do OCR. The main version will edit. For my purposes I also need to check color, and other print-centric issues. At this time Acrobat is still the only game in town to do so.

Just tried the PDF-Xchane free version and indeed to does include OCR. Works well. Cheers.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host