Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I have had a bit of a problem working between 3D apps because of all the formats and the incompatibility of the formats between the apps.

I did some searches for format convertors, but don't know much about them.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a free or fairly inexpensive convertor that will handle various formats so that I can import/export images between Wings 3D, 3D Canvas, C4D, Strata, Carrara, etc?

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Dale--

http://www.xdsoft.com/explorer/

I'm quite happy with it.
    And the interface shows you a preview that you can rotate in 3D.

Ooops! You said "images", and not "models", right?
    The capability of apps to write alphas to file complicates the selection list a tad.
    XARA has an extensive list of bitmap imports.

You might want to download from this page:
    http://www.programmersheaven.com/zon...t670/17745.htm

My Best,
    Gare

[This message was edited by Gary David Bouton on November 22, 2002 at 20:51.]

[This message was edited by Gary David Bouton on November 22, 2002 at 20:56.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEW-1.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	5972  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

Back in the days when Amapi 3D didn't have Wavefront OBJ import/export, I kept looking for a few converters that did. This list is still usable now.

http://www.staigerland.com/amapi/obj2amapi.html

Some in there are freeware, some shareware, adware and affordableware. Then there's the top of the line commercialware for high end CAD formats.

-Philip

Sorry for any misunderstanding. I did not mean "image" but rather "file."

I would like to be able to exchange 3D files back and forth between 3D apps. I am trying to start my modeling in Wings 3D and then bring the model into a rendering app like Carrara, C4D, Strata, etc.

Philip,

Your link was just what I was looking for! Thanks! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Is there any disadvantage to using the DXF format when transferring 3D graphic data from program to program?

It seems that the OBJ format carries more data overall, even more than 3DS.

Anyone care to enlighten me on the advantages or disadvantages of the different formats?

- Lewis Carroll

Dale,

DXF ( Drawing Exchange Format ) was introduced by AutoDesk in the late '80s. It is a very basic translator -> entity type, layer, and point values. Some programs can read the extended data attached for materials etc but no guarantee. So if you need simple straight forward data then it is a great format.

AutoCAD itself has some weaknesses that can be a pain. For example there is no formula for a tessellation line in a non coplaner ACAD 3dface. Non World plane objects have there own oddities that AutoCAD still doesn't have 100% figured out. 3rd party stuff does a lot better at interrupting these.

I prefer DXF to all others but then I do fairly plain stuff. -David

[This message was edited by David Bethel on November 25, 2002 at 05:19.]

Although support is better on the Mac than in Windows (IOW, more programs can take advantage of it) the 3D Metafile file format produces very compact file formats that carry spline information. DXF, as David notes, is the lingua franca of 3D, you cannot go wrong with a DXF file transfer and many programs enable you to break down an aggregate model by layer or color... but DXF uses poly and point cloud information---sometimes an application cannot smooth a poly mesh that is unaesthetically crude.

Find 3DMF support in Poser, and I will try to find other applications.

A quick, admitted limited survey suggests that Lightwave (*.lwo), WaveFront (*.obj). and Studio MAX (*.3ds) are extremely popular fexchange formats today, too.

My Best,
    Gare
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

Hi again, I just had an Email exchange with Zoltan, and found his newest v1.44 of 3D Converter, a $40 shareware.

Check the updated information for 3Dconverter in http://www.staigerland.com/amapi/obj2amapi.html

-Philip