Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Click on a graphic element and Run Php script in a placeholder

We have good success integrating code and xara web designer 10 premium web pages.... but we have a need we cant seem to find a solution for.
    Experts, experienced users and programmers please take a look and see if you can help us with a solution or an idea.

What we need to do...
    1. click on an icon
    2. Run a php script
    3. Display the php script output in a placeholder

Linking the icon to script is not an issue, embedding the code in a placeholder is not an issue.
    Non of the standard xara option we are aware of will result in what we need to do which is to do both.

In case this was as clear as mud.............
    I'm sure everyone has logged into an online account by selecting a login icon that typically displays a login form to float on top of the page (@high z value) and after login is successful a "Logged in" message is displayed on the page header or elsewhere.

our roadblocks............

We are trying to adhere to the constraint of maintaining the xara automated page export function which as you know requires that we keep any code integration within the xara page and produced by xara insert functions or other page integration tools/options.

For those that might say "just do a separate page outside of xara... I agree this so simple without the xara protocol but keeping xara as a web dev. tool allows us to use interns ect. to do basic and even advanced front end work and then pass the project to the programmers. Jumping off the xara train is something I want to avoid if possible.

Thanks for any help
    Ron

Default Re: Click on a graphic element and Run Php script in a placeholder

Hi Ron, you could probably use AJAX http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_ajax_database.asp

Why not have the login icon in a placeholder.
    On clicking the icon the placeholder page moves on to a log-in dialogue form.
    Filling in the log-in form and clicking Submit runs the php file and either alerts an error or loads a success page?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks to jamesd and Egg Bramhill, two great ideas! jamesd, we tried ajax before we made this post for assistance, but we had an internal error with xara when ajax began the xmlhttp request open, we started testing to see what was throwing the catch in xara but havent had any luck yet, it seems like a goo method so we will keep trying that one. Egg Bramhill, we had not tried the icon in a placeholder, we do have several other php and js scripts inserted via placeholders that run without user input. We will keep trying on the ajax idea and will also work the icon in a placeholder idea. If we have success I will credit you and post the details, maybe it will help someone else. Thanks again for the reply and the rgeat ideas, I really appreciate your time.

Still havent found a working solution, any more ideas or elaboration on the ones provided already will be appreciated.

After embedding the PHP code in placeholders, I assume you are naming the page with a .php extension and then testing online?

I've tested this in all browsers, works fine.
    Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?

http://xara-users.info/protected/

Dunno why I bothered...

Lightbulb Re: Click on a graphic element and Run Php script in a placeholder

Quote Originally Posted by steve.ledger View Post
    Dunno why I bothered...
    You bother because you care.
    Some OPs do not understand, only take, but a number do give back and that we appreciate.

Should anyone post a question and get any answer back:

• Post again with how excellent, how naff or how wrong the answer was.
    • Explain how it worked or didn't.
    • Accept that there may not be an answer, so don't blame the messenger.
    • Respect those who answer a different question.
    • Feel free to contribute your successes, understanding or revelations.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat