Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Exclamation Freaking out!!! Lost entire site due to error!!! It was uploaded, can I transfer.....

Okay, My site is going to be at least 50+ pages, that's probably on the low end. I'm at 19 or 20 pages, I have been regularly uploading it to the magix hosting, so it is at least there. BUT I had an error in Xara web design and when it restarted xara MY ENTIRE SITE was down to one page... one page!!!! I kept trying to reload that file and it's really just one page. Everything is lost. I still need to be able to edit those pages. I'm devastated. I am at least happy I still have the info (hosted) but some are really intricate. UGH!!!!!

My question is this: Is there a way to take the info from the magix hosting and transfer it BACK to the xara program???? (without doing it manually)

Default Re: Freaking out!!! Lost entire site due to error!!! It was uploaded, can I transfer.

Hi, Once the project has been published it is no longer editable in Xara..it is uploaded as HTML document. But you may be able to save the project by loading the last backup file from Xara, it should have the majority of the xar file up to the last autobackup.
    JIM
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Default Re: Freaking out!!! Lost entire site due to error!!! It was uploaded, can I transfer.

Make sure you did not set it to a supersite.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

OH THANK YOU!!!!!! The back up WORKED!!!!! I had it set to back up every 10 minutes, so I only lost 10 minutes of work!!! Oh THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! I didn't realize it didn't replace these files.

Gracehjs, It is set as a supersite... what's the problem with that setting? Could that be why I got the error in the first place?

Consider doing periodic Save As to an incremental filename instead of relying on a back up copy to be viable.

I typically use _01 etc, appended to the end of the filename.

At one time or another, the Backups have saved all our bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    At one time or another, the Backups have saved all our bacon.
    First thing I do in every application is shut off back-ups.

I would rather depend on incremental back-ups...which in turn are copied to an external drive twice a day.

I have seen too many times where someone is depending upon auto-back-ups only to find a file was written corrupted to the drive, a crash happened, and the back-up was also corrupted. Can happen in every software.

Mike