Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Optimizing photographs in Xara---data loss to original files?

I'm not sure exactly how to word this question:

My goal is to preserve the file integrity of the original jpegs that I have stored in my computer elsewhere.

I have a document I've created in Xara that is full of photographs. To get the photographs into the xara file, I opened the photographs in another image viewer (irfanview), copied them to the clipboard, and pasted them in xara. I now have the original photos, stored on my computer; and the copies of the photos, pasted into xara.

1. So, now the question, when I click on the photo, in Xara, and choose to optimize it, will it ever alter the original file that the photograph comes from? Meaning, somehow, xara is holding the original file, and allowing it to be manipulated losslessly---is that a copy of my original that xara is messing with, or can xara somehow reach into the depths of my computer, as part of the optimization process, and ruin my original file?

2. Also, in the example above, I opened the original file in irfanview, copied to the clipboard, and pasted. What if I were to *not* copy to the clipboard, but instead open a windows explorer window, and drag and drop the icon for the image into xara? Would optimizing *that* image mess with the original file?

I don't want to in any way affect the original files, as they are my only copies. Any help would be appreciated; I am happy to try and clarify if I haven't gotten my meaning across.

Thanks!

Default Re: Optimizing photographs in Xara---data loss to original files?

In all cases the original file is left alone.

Thank you so much! I appreciate your quick answer! I had figured as much, but I needed to make sure. Thanks for resolving my concern!

I have a similar concern. All images that I add to XWD have been optimized to the image quality and file size that I want. If I specify "JPEG Quality 100%" under Web image type, will the file size of the image remain the same or will it create a larger file size?

I have no idea, Cap'n. I don't use XDP for web stuff. If you don't get a reply from someone who does use the web stuff, consider reporting to a new thread, maybe in the web forum section.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by TheCapn View Post
    I have a similar concern. All images that I add to XWD have been optimized to the image quality and file size that I want. If I specify "JPEG Quality 100%" under Web image type, will the file size of the image remain the same or will it create a larger file size?
    Yes it will increase the file size

Hi Capn.

All images that I add to XWD have been optimized to the image quality and file size that I want. If I specify "JPEG Quality 100%" under Web image type, will the file size of the image remain the same or will it create a larger file size?
    I believe it does indeed increase the file size dramatically. To test it yourself:
    Draw a square and give it a fractal plasma fill.
    Create a bitmap copy.
    Export as an 80% jpg.
    Import this back into Xara
    Export as a 100% jpg
    Notice how the final export is far larger than the 80% one, although it won't have any greater detail than the 80% one.

At least that's my findings. I can never see the point of using 100% jpg's in the first place either.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Sorry guys, I am in the wrong forum. I did a search in the Webdesigner forum and this page came up so I assumed it was for webdesigner. I will ask this question over there.

Wby? You got your answer.

Because the answer could be useful to someone in the Web Chat forum.