Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Exclude pages from being published with the rest of the website

I have several pages that I'm working on that are not complete and I don't want to publish them with the rest of the website. How can I specify that certain pages NOT be published?

To better explain what I'm trying to accomplish, here is an example of how it was done in MS Frontpage: http://www.computertim.com/howto/art...ontpage&idn=10

Thanks,
    John

Default Re: Exclude pages from being published with the rest of the website

Just remove the links from the navbar menu until you wish to add them John.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks, Egg. I don't have a navbar menu per se. I would have to go to each page and manually remove the link and then put it back when I'm ready for the page to be viewed. Is this the only solution?

Make a copy of your design file (.web / .xar). Give it a really special name, like, Do not Edit this Site file.web.
    In this, delete the draft pages. Publish.

If you are updating the remaining pages, you must repeat the above and do not edit the copy.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn, if I understand correctly, I make a duplicate of my website, rename it, delete the pages I don't want published, then publish it? And every time I update any of the published pages I do the same thing again?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCapn View Post
    Acorn, if I understand correctly, I make a duplicate of my website, rename it, delete the pages I don't want published, then publish it? And every time I update any of the published pages I do the same thing again?
    Yes, a better précis than mine,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks And a sincere thanks to Egg & Acorn for their assistance. FWIW, it would be a nice feature for future versions to add a "do not publish" option for pages.

Thanks And a sincere thanks to Egg & Acorn for their assistance. FWIW, it would be a nice feature for future versions to add a "do not publish" option for pages.
    I don't see this as being a viable feature. How would you expect the program to work if you have a multiple page website with a navigation bar which includes a page you don't want published? Are you suggesting that the software will recursively disable all site wide links pointing to unpublished page/s?
    You can easily create a new document (in a new tab) for the unfinished page/s then add that page to the publishing document later on when ready (Copy page 'name' / Paste page 'name').

Steve, it may not seem viable to you but in certain circumstances it would be useful. For example, the pages you don't want published may not be linked to a navbar, so it's not a simple task of simply removing the URL as suggested. And removing the link does not prevent the page from being published, which not only takes up space on the server, but can also be indexed by search engines - something the web designer may not want. Creating a copy of the site, minus the pages you don't want published seems the best alternative in my situation, but it's more of a hassle than just being able to specify which page(s) you don't want published. Frontpage had this feature and I used it quite often. Maybe it wouldn't be so easy to add it to Xara, I don't know, but it is just a suggestion.

Frontpage had this feature and I used it quite often. Maybe it wouldn't be so easy to add it to Xara, I don't know, but it is just a suggestion.
    I understand, but remember - Frontpage was a HTML editor, Xara Web Designer is not, it's a graphical design application which can convert your design into HTML when you publish. For this reason internally flagging pages you wish to exclude from publish is tricky because there are no html pages yet. It's one .web document.