Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Kickstarter & Minimalist posters

I know this members work is not suitable for a minimalist poster but I think he should be encouraged to do both book and posters. That person is Gray, whose work has such a wide appeal and would bring back memories to veterans, WW2 collectors and army air force enthusiasts. The problem would be to try and persuade him as he treats his work as a hobby and not worth showing but he should be encouraged. When you think about classic american cars who do you think off, it must be Ron, where is work over the years must be enough for a book. Those are my choices Paul but both are not minimalist artists and they may have problems to get their work to print because they use Xara but it would be worth a punt. I wouldn't say we have any high quality minimalistic artist who regularly post work here.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Well, I showed the KS project, which happens to be minimalist, because there has been a following on TG for minimalist themes and it may seem approachable to some.

I entirely agree with you Albacore, and you may see a subtle hint along the same lines in post #1.

Why hide your talent away? It doesn't have to be minimalist. It could be aeroplanes in a Gray sky.

It's not our choice and I'm sure some TGers familiar with print could help out with some assistance.

I have been as encouraging as I possibly could be.

Nobody has anything to lose by giving it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    Those are my choices Paul but both are not minimalist artists and they may have problems to get their work to print because they use Xara but it would be worth a punt.
    I'm just curious about this sentence. Why do you consider it problematic getting Xara created work to print?

While I have some web experience, the majority of my design and use of Xara involves digital printing. While some work is outsourced to short run, web press printers, which I can agree Xara has some shortcomings regarding traditional printing (though still used for such), still the bulk of my design experience has been for the print industry. Over the past decade I've used Xara for vinyl sign cutting, large format printed banners, posters, printed game maps, standard DTP documents like flyers, brochures, business cards, invoices, etc. About 2% of the work I've done were not for the print industry, which means 98% of the work I do with Xara is for print only. I would never state that Xara is less than ideal for print.

I'd also say we have a TGer who's work would be perfect for a poster on KS. A poster of little squares..

It's easy to print to your local print shop type digital printer for the larger posters but it is much harder to do for offset printing in a illustrative book. Both Ron and Gray use loads of bitmap special effects in their work and these bits would need work for CMYK. The only other way to get round this is to use InDesign CS5 as this is the only programme that I know which could handle it and then export it as PDF X-4 with a coated GRAcOL 2006 colour profile as this has the largest number of colour gamut. Know I don't have Acro Pro CS5 so I don't know if it could be done there but I do have ID CS5.
    Design is thinking made visual.