Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kickstarter & Minimalist posters

We have so many talented people on TG and sometimes I think a lot of that talent is absolutely wasted - because it could be shared with the wider world.

The minimalist poster is a favourite of mine and a recurring theme on TG.

Combine the minimalist poster and sharing with the wider world and you have that risk free phenomenon - kickstarter.

Take a look at this campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ssic-sci-fi-tv

Somebody enjoying their art and sharing it with others, at no risk to themselves.

Why hide your talent away? It doesn't have to be minimalist. It could be aeroplanes in a Gray sky. Or minimalist. Or..

I don't have the talent, but you guys do. You could have fun, raise a little money for yourself or charity. Anything.

On the subject of talent, this KS project may also appeal to some here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...tion-facsimile

Default Re: Kickstarter & Minimalist posters

While I'm not necessarily into minimalist posters (not my kind of art), but I've run two successful Kickstarters - one to promote my roleplaying game setting and maps, the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror (which includes my fiction writing, game cartography and illustration), and the second to support a series of map tutorial guide books using Xara, Photoshop, Illustrator, GIMP and Inkscape. Technically I even ran another patronage system, that was not Kickstarter, rather an in-house patron system from Rite Publishing. So I've been involved with 3 patronage based funding projects, and though not always directly, having some of my art for the general public. I'm hiding nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I'm hiding nothing.
    Indeed. You are an example to us all.

Kickstarter is an amazing enabler.

I didn't mean to come off as "holier than thou", rather I was simply saying, yes, I've used Kickstarter and/or other patronage models to portray my art. I was just pointing out that my art isn't being "wasted", as if any members works were being wasted. I am an example for no one - don't know where that comes from.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 28 April 2015 at 07:14 PM.

Gameprinter, it was a compliment.

You are an excellent positive example - you make and sell your art. Most people here don't do that directly as you do.

That was the point about KS. It enables people to have a go at selling their artwork (or anything) without the financial risk.

People who don't sell their artwork aren't wasting it. My point is that for some people here they could share what they do with a wider audience who might be appreciative.

It did occur to me that there might even be a collaborative project possible between TG members to create a KS poster project.

Well, it's an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    My point is that for some people here they could share what they do with a wider audience who might be appreciative...

It did occur to me that there might even be a collaborative project possible between TG members to create a KS poster project.

Well, it's an idea.
    Not a bad idea Paul, however I have noticed collaborative projects non't usually get much involvement from the members.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Sorry, didn't mean to be defensive - I couldn't read the tone of your post (I read it wrong.) When I ran my last successful Kickstarter, my community building efforts on G+ seemed to do all the work, I gained an enormous following thru G+. Though not necessarily related but my personal G+ account is only 1.5 years old, yet has over 4.8 million views - while the KS it supported is complete, my followers are growing even still.

Larry, you're right about the history of collaborative projects here. I thought this time around, with art being involved and a tangible goal with a result that could grace a wall, it could be different. Minimalist artwork is popular these days.

Might even be a marketing opportunity for Xara.

I hope you are correct Paul.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    I hope you are correct Paul.
    Sadly, I think you are correct!

I hope I might have encouraged some TGers to consider publishing some of their artwork.