Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Zoner Photo Studio

Not sure how many of you know of Zoner Photo Studio, but there are free and Pro versions, both of which view a large range of photo and graphic files. The reason I mention it, is that it also views XAR files, and the drag and drop functionality from Zoner to Xara actually makes it easier to use than Xara's included Designs gallery. You can even view Ai files (maybe not all of them) and pdf's and drag and drop them into Xara for editing. May be worth a look.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Default Re: Zoner Photo Studio

I have ZPS Pro 16, although it can show .xar file thumbnails like Windows explorer, it doesn't actually view .xar files? Is this what you mean't Keith?
    My version doesn't view PDF files either...

XN-View shows pdf/ai/eps/psd and xar thumbs
    Oh it's freeware for personal use

Hans

But Keith posted about Zoner Photo Studio which is actually many many times more useful than for just viewing thumbnails

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    The reason I mention it, is that it also views XAR files, and the drag and drop functionality from Zoner to Xara actually makes it easier to use than Xara's included Designs gallery. You can even view Ai files (maybe not all of them) and pdf's and drag and drop them into Xara for editing.
    ... doesn't xn-view do this then?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes it does Steve and Steve

Hans

I rather thought it did Hans, thanks
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Although I don't use XN view, I thought it did too Hans. I also have Zoner Photo Studio which I don't use either,. I got it free from download of the day.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Yes, Steve, I mean't the thumbnails, if you can see what the file is, and drag it into Xara for editing, then it does what it needs too. And as you said, Zoner is much more useful than just viewing thumbnails.

I don't know if Xn-View works the same, I don't use it .... I have it, just don't use it. I do know that a lot of the Viewers (Faststone and Irfanview included, do NOT view XAR files).

However, the point I was trying to make - albeit badly - was that if people are using Xara's Design gallery and windows explorer to find files, Zoner is much more flexible, FREE and may be a good alternative. I know there are other options, but that wasn't the point.

EDIT:

Just took another look at XN-VIEW, and yes, it pretty much does the same .... it will view Sketchup thumbnails, where Zoner won't, but Zoner seems to recognise more RAW formats - and XN-VIEW also views X3D files (thumbnails). Zoner however has the ability to set up Directories as favourites, so you don't have to hunt quite as much.

So yes, if you are looking for this functionality, then XN-VIEW is also a good choice. Again my point is there are more user friendly ways to get objects into Xara than the IMPORT dialogue.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 23 April 2015 at 01:13 AM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Yes, Steve, I mean't the thumbnails, if you can see what the file is, and drag it into Xara for editing, then it does what it needs too. And as you said, Zoner is much more useful than just viewing thumbnails.
    Thanks Keith. Yep it does.
    I actually first got Zoner for it's RAW workflow, photo editing, and image management which (in case others didn't know) is it's main purpose. It's a great application.
    Though I don't get PDF thumbnails in Zoner like I do in Windows Explorer