Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara Web Designer 10 Premium - Changing "mobile" design messes up my "main" design

Hi Guys:

I created my main webpage, then "added" a mobile variant.

When I changed the font on the variant, it changed on the main webpage too.

Do you usually keep the same font style and size on both variants as a "rule of thumb". I have seen it both ways on the Xara templates.

If not ...how do I stop design changes on my mobile variant from messing up my main webpage?

Other related question: what is a good font and "size" for a mobile variant, is there a general standard?

Thanks again...much appreciated

Karen

Default Re: Xara Web Designer 10 Premium - Changing "mobile" design messes up my "main" desig

I've found that you usually need to go bigger with mobile font sizes. So something that was 13px on desktop would be easier to read at say 16px or 18px on a phone. It will depend on the font and really the best thing is to just keep previewing how it looks on an actual phone until you are happy with a particular size.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Default Re: Xara Web Designer 10 Premium - Changing "mobile" design messes up my "main" desig

Thanks Tom
    But how do I stop Xara from changing the "main" webpage size font to the same size as the mobile variant.

Everytime I change something on my variant (formatting-wise), it changes the same thing on the Main (desktop size webpage)....???

Karen

I haven't worked with variants in a good while so I'm not sure, but try this..

1) On your mobile page add some new temporary text in it's own text object with the appropriate style selected
    2) Change the font size/colour
    3) From the style dropdown select "Update style in this variant"
    4) You can delete the temp text

This should only apply the formatting changes to the variant your in. Having said that I'm getting an error when I change the font size and do it. "Failed to find a layout that satisfies the dynamic positioning of all objects on the page"

Looks like you can also break the link completely by right clicking on the text it and selecting Website variants -> Stop sharing with variants. But this means you would have to update text in both variants separately.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Google has a nice Mobile Friendly Test service in their Webmaster Tools. It approves of type as small as 12 point Arial on my sites. Here is a link to the tool:

https://www.google.com/webmasters/to...bile-friendly/

When Google calls your page Awesome, that doesn't mean all of us old folks will find it easy to read - but it does mean that Google will show it in search results for mobile devices.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenC View Post
    Thanks Tom
    But how do I stop Xara from changing the "main" webpage size font to the same size as the mobile variant.

Everytime I change something on my variant (formatting-wise), it changes the same thing on the Main (desktop size webpage)....???

Karen
    Karen, did you ever resolve this? I know in this thread you did not get an answer. I have the same problem. I wold only like to change the formatting, not the content on the mobile variant.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by l.hudson View Post
    Karen, did you ever resolve this? I know in this thread you did not get an answer. I have the same problem. I wold only like to change the formatting, not the content on the mobile variant.
    Larry
    Larry, the "trick" is to create a separate set of Text Styles for the Variant and use those.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Larry, the "trick" is to create a separate set of Text Styles for the Variant and use those.
    What's wrong with the 'update text in this variant' Acorn?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	update-variant.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	121595  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    What's wrong with the 'update text in this variant' Acorn?
    Egg, 'cos if you do that and the text is shared across Variants, it changes the font in the Main view as well so you have to go back and forth.
    Just checked. It is also very implicit and relies on you being aware which design page you are in. It gets confusing if you get the workflow wrong.

I prefer the control I have by setting separate Styles for each Variant.

Both work.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Egg, 'cos if you do that and the text is shared across Variants, it changes the font in the Main view as well so you have to go back and forth.
    Sorry, it doesn't ???? Puzzled.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host