Randy,

The image was done in C4D.
As for his hair...Andy's head is a complete mesh including ears, throat, tongue, gums, front teeth and even molars. To do his hair I had two choices. First was to exturde or skin a section of polygons to form the hair around the sides of Andy's head. This would be textured later using a color map, and an Alpha map, to give the impression of individual hairs. The second option (the one that was eventually used) was to select the polygons in front of, and behind Andy's ears, then around to the back of his skull. These polygons were Split from the original mesh so that they became a separate object but remained in their original position. Because each polygon was relatively large I Subdivided them. The polygons in front of the ears were subdivided a second time. The aim was to give the look of greater hair mass towards the front of Andy without taxing the renderer. To form the actual hair the Matrix Extrude was used. Depending on the parameters (scale, distance, rotate and a choice of variances for each) that you've chosen this tool extrudes the individual polygons in a random manner. After some experimentation I found a look that suited Andy, then added a texture.

A less exaggerated example of what the Matrix tool does can be found in this forum under Boredom and Wallpaper.

The above method may not be suitable for everyone. I use a Dual Mac G4 500mhz w/1024MB Ram which chewed through the render with little trouble or waiting around. Had I used my G3 I would have opted to create Andy's hair using the Loft and texture map method.

I hope this was helpful Randy.

Ron

Ron Pfister
http://www.imaginationmagic.com