Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Simple Symetrical Shapes

THIS LINK contains some common basic shapes that are difficult to create using the quick shape tool as the quick shape tool has a different method of determining the shapes centre point.

Please use as you feel fit.

Egg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eggshapes.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	107128  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by angelize; 14 April 2015 at 06:02 AM. Reason: added file and screenshot
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Simple Symetrical Shapes

Hi Egg what a good idea! I have posted a copy of your file here at TG so members don't have to go to another site to get your generous gift. I've also added a screen shot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I didn't post it here as TG has such a convoluted attachment system.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks Egg. That has always bothered me. Especially with working with star shapes and triangles.

I've not opened the file yet, but, it seems that grouping the shape with a circle (of no stroke) seems the be the answer to this rotating problem.
    And like Gary, this has indeed bothered me over the years.

Thanks, Egg.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Yes Rik, the problem is centring the shape in the first place
    Egg

forgive me if i'm not seeing this right but the centers are correct for rotating any of the quick shapes as long as it's symmetrical along the horizontal and vertical axes (essentially an even number of points). that being said, the third and fourth objects in the pic above don't need a circle around them. the centers are correct and the objects will rotate properly.....right?
    Last edited by mikeymopar; 14 April 2015 at 03:59 PM.

Mikey: Youy're absolutely correct. Anything with an odd number of sides or points, is what will not rotate about its centre.

i.e. Triangle, Pentagon, the five point Star etc...

So, you're not missing anything.
    It's just nice to know how to make those awkward shapes behave properly.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Egg, I understand why you have created this useful suite of shapes. I have used the same myself.

Quick Shapes, however, can be rotated around their correct centre if you use the Quick Shape Tool setting of Size & rotation and twiddling with the second box's value.
    I invariably forget to check the Status Bar but I Ctrl+Z and double click the offending Shape to get to the right toolbar.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I appreciate every asset and technique shared with the community. Unless I am missing something, I don't see the technique for centering these shapes in the circles.

However, it seems to me in a graphic design application that the solution itself is seeking a problem. I personally don't care how the shapes rotate. I'm going to move them into place and likely size them anyway. So for me, it's all relative.