Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Process for Creating Symmetrical Mould/Envelope?

Hi all,

I use envelopes a LOT. I prefer the envelopes in Corel Draw because of the control it affords me (being able to add points to an envelope is a HUGE plus), but I'll sometimes finagle an envelope in Xara just because most of my design is already done there. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for creating symmetrical, perfect envelopes that don't take so many steps? I'm outlining my process below in case it helps anyone else, but I'd love to find an easier way to do this!

1. Draw your object/text.
    2. Drag 2 horizontal guides and snap them to the top and baseline of your text/object. This will help preserve scale in the Y direction in step 5.
    3. Apply a mould. Click on one of the points of the mould (being careful not to drag it out of place). This will show the control handles for each corner. Now drag 2 vertical guides and place them in line with the control handles. This will preserve scale in the X direction.
    4. Because this is going to be a arched effect, I move the text down. The guides show me where I want to manipulate the control handles in order to achieve a perfect, symmetrical mould.
    5. The control handles are placed in the crosshairs of the guides.

Phew! That's a lot of steps. But you see the result. Any tips on how to get this done faster?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mould.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	106933

Default Re: Process for Creating Symmetrical Mould/Envelope?

i don't know if it's any faster or more/less accurate but after applying the mould to the text draw a vertical reference line that is centered with your new image. then while your image is selected, select the line shape tool, grab the center and pull up and snap to your reference line. repeat for the bottom edge too. also, if you hold ctrl while dragging handles to resize something, it will constrain it at a straight line or a set angle.

Wow... I had no idea the shape tool could interact with a mould. The idea of doing this never crossed my mind. Thanks for the tip!

no problem. and still not much help directly with your question but...also while in the mould tool, you can select more than one corner by holding shift as you select each corner (same for grouping anything). then you can drag or whatever your selected points are all at once leaving the remaining corner(s) static.

I DID NOT KNOW THAT!

Never knew that either Mike.

The mould tool also snaps to grid. Create your text. Convert to edible shapes. For example adjust it to 650px wide by 100px high. Set the grid to 50px no subdivisions. Turn on snap to grid. Align the ex-text to the grid. Apply an envelope mould and snap it to the grid to your hearts content.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grid.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	106936  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

And don't forget if you have your mould as a shape you can copy and paste the mould.

See Tony Roberts moulds here http://www.xaraxone.com/html/tony_roberts_molds.html
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365