Gary, what about dvd covers? Do not people use cars in their imagery? various buildings? bridges? whether drawings or photo manipulations etc.. Are they not man made objects? I think people get ridiculous when it comes to this.. I had people try to monopolize a historical building for the selling their own photos, when they did not own the building.. they claimed I did not have authorization to sell photos of a building when I had just as much right as they did. I went through the copyright office to get answers, I found out my rights, I found if it is public I can sell it. As much as anyone else can. Of course branding and trademarks we have to avoid but public imagery cannot be controlled. A law suit does not mean they have a legit claim. I say if he wants to use a robot go ahead just do some modifications to make it indistingishable do some cloning change it up.. Who would really waste time and money on a suit really.. When it after modification has resemblance of the original.. A judge would laugh at a suit.

Use reason that's all I am saying.. As far as terrible advice I don't think so Gary.