Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Feature request

Default Feature request

Please add to Xara P&GD Pen tool behaviour from Adobe Illustrator. I mean changing node from smooth to crisp after clicking it with ctrl, alt or anything. I think it is not a big task but for someone who switched from Illustrator it would be a great time saver

Default Re: Feature request

(These all apply to the Shape Tool which most of us use for creating an outline).

Press S or Z to change a control point to Smooth (S) or Cusp (Z).

With two points selected, Press L to make a curve a line or press C to make a line into a curve.

When creating a shape with the Shape Tool, you can intuitively drag on a line like a rubber band to change the shape.

I know about these shortcuts Gary. But anyway it is not the same because these shortcuts doesn't work with pen tool:/.
    Try to play with pen tool in Illustrator(just click on anchor), Photoshop(alt+click) or Drawplus(alt+click) and Inkscape(alt+drag node handle) .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	106938
    Like on the screen above. It is very good way to draw hairs, fur or organic shapes. With shape tool I have to put my nodes first then go back and reshape path. And I love how shape tool works in Xara, but anyway it would be nice to have also good working pen tool.

I don't want Xara to turn Designer Pro into an Adobe Illustrator clone just because some people can't learn new ways. Sorry, but I think it's wrong to move from one application to another and ask for it to behave like the one you just left.

I did not left Illustrator but I use both every day. And there is nothing wrong in taking good solutions from another softwares. It is also good to have similar tools in every software. That is why Adobe made Photoshop and Illustrator so similar.
    And I do not talking about changing whole idea of shape tool. I'm talking just about adding to "Pen Tool" ability to change smooth node to cusp. It is working in "Shape Tool", so why it should not work in this case?

I fully agree with Rafal that the pen tool needs revamped.

I like the way DrawPlus works better than Illy, but that's beside the point. The point is that this tool is one that it appears Xara would rather leave stunted, hidden and mostly useless.

Mike