Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Draw and Fill a Kite

Following on form the discussion here:http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ll-a-trapezoid, describe your best, quickest and most accurate way to draw a mathematical kite.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Draw and Fill a Kite

you're killin' me man. didn't have time for "play" today but, like you, stuff like this draws me in

many ways to do a generic mathematical kite that is just visually correct by definition (from quick and easy to time-consuming and over-complicating the issue) BUT rather tricky if you're stipulating some of the dimensions like....

two sides must equal a certain given length, or a given length at a given angle, or two sides must be one given length and the other two another given length, or you have the two given angles only to design against, or...or....gaaaahhhh

i've got a couple of the iterations done from a quick generic one to a couple with specific lengths and/or angles that i set to design to but i can't ignore the kids any longer. gonna have to wait until tonight when they're in bed. i think i'm making your challenge more complicated than you were intending it to be....or are you that evil?

No - pure evil.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Ok, after quick look at the wikipedia I created this. Not sure about the mathematical part, but at least it looks to be the right shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kite.png 
Views:	163 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	106845  

Thanks for a nice end result, but it is the how the Challenge is about.

Can you describe your steps?

Acorn

Basically I would do it like this.

Name:	stages.png 
Views:	188 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	106849  

This is how I would draw a kite.

Name:	Kite.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	106850  

with no size or angle dimensions specified here's my quickest and easiest generic kite that i could come up with

Name:	kite challenge.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	106851  

Actually I first draw it the same way as Mike Bailey, but then was fooled by the mathematical part of the description and chose that particular shape where the intersecting tangents of a circle can define another circle.

Name:	tangents.png 
Views:	165 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	106855  

My claim is I have angle accuracy down to two decimal places with this approach;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kite.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	106857

Interesting how all the solutions are going for a vertical symmetry.

Acorn