Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Draw and Fill a Kite

This way is height and width accurate:

1. Create two circles with 0 deg rotation, touching, different sizes and vertically aligned.
    2. Combine Shapes > Add Shapes.
    3. Switch to Shape Tool mode.
    4. Delete the middle point and either the two above or the two below.
    5. Select all remaining points and press L.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snowman.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	106863

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 29 March 2015 at 03:12 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Last one I can think of:

1. Draw a vertical line.
    2. Draw a horizontal line.
    3. Place the vertical line as the bisector of the other (Snap to objects selected).
    4. Combine Shapes > Add shapes.
    5. Switch to the Shape Tool (F4).
    6. Press the Tab key until the selected node is at the bisector.
    7. Press the Delete key or Delete points icon.
    8. Repeat Steps 6 & 7 until a Kite is formed.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bailey View Post
    This is how I would draw a kite.
    I've tried this approach and cannot easily get the vertices to snap onto the cross. Can you do it consistently or is it by eye?
    Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by mikeymopar View Post
    with no size or angle dimensions specified here's my quickest and easiest generic kite that i could come up with
    As XWD10(P) doesn't come with a "convert to Editable Shapes" I chose to Add Shapes together to make rectangles (or circles) editable shapes.
    Definitely must use "squish" in future descriptions!

Acorn

I've tried this approach and cannot easily get the vertices to snap onto the cross.
    I turn on snap to objects, I have no problem snapping to the end points of the cross. By the way the dimensions of the cross are in thirds. the horizontal line is 2/3 the length of the vertical line and is centered 2/3 of the distance from the bottom of the vertical line. This gives me a pretty nice looking kite.
    Last edited by Mike Bailey; 30 March 2015 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Add dimensions

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bailey View Post
    I turn on snap to objects, I have no problem snapping to the end points of the cross. By the way the dimensions of the cross are in thirds. the horizontal line is 2/3 the length of the vertical line and is centered 2/3 of the distance from the bottom of the vertical line. This gives me a pretty nice looking kite.
    Mike, thanks.
    What I think you are doing is going round making the points and then selecting each and snapping.
    Have I cracked it? If so, then you're seems the winner.

Acorn

Have I cracked it?
    No, as I draw with the pen tool It snaps to the end points of the lines. My snap radi is set at the default, do you notice anything unusual in this image?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap radi.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	106886  
    Last edited by Mike Bailey; 30 March 2015 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Adding another image

Mike, never thought of the Pen Tool.

Xara Extreme?

Acorn

building on what you guys have done here is mine. I used the shape tool. I also added a center line and sliced. Just how mathematically correct it is I don't have a clue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kite.png 
Views:	181 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	106889
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

@Mike - that's roughly the best way i've found if you're trying to create a kite knowing the long lengths are, say, 100mm and the included angle is, say, 58 degrees.

draw a horizontal line 100mm.
    ctrl+k and then in info bar change rotation point to left center and in info bar rotate the copy 29 degrees (1/2 of total) and stretch the length by grabbing to top right corner handle creating a long center reference line.
    again ctrl+k the original line, change rotation point, rotate 58 degrees. you end up with an arrow shape.
    then using shape tool and either of the lines, just add some random point from the end and then drag/snap the added point to the center reference line. then repeat again but then drag it to the origin creating a shape. (half of the kite)
    delete the reference line.
    repeat using the other line but now drag/snap the added end-point to the other new end-point and then again add and drag/snap to the origin.
    now add the shapes. now you have a kite with the long sides equaling 100mm and the included angle of 58 degrees.

sounds complicated but it's not