Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Pop-Up Layers Not Closing Automatically.

The mouse-over settings were a by-product of separating the drop shadows from the labels. These were set correctly before. That's crazy considering they were still working.

Setting to "Instant" transition fixed the problem. That kind of sucks, but in my mind points back to a Xara issue does it not? I was having the same problem in IE, Chrome AND FF.

I'm still wondering what I could do regarding the large images also. Even creating bitmap copy, and optimizing image doesn't change this size. Xara insists on making png's of everything, and I do know that my incessant and maniacal use of drop shadows contributes.

I'm still wondering what I could do regarding the large images also. Even creating bitmap copy, and optimizing image doesn't change this size. Xara insists on making png's of everything, and I do know that my incessant and maniacal use of drop shadows contributes.
    If you set your background image to 'tiled' (as you have) and set the scrolling value to 'scrolling' NOT 'fixed' you can do away with all those png's and export as jpg as they take on the background image as well. This doesn't matter with a scrolling background as all images scroll together, it only becomes obvious if you have the background image 'fixed'.

I created a mock-up of your page and got the images count down to 642Kbs. (If I grouped the whole lot I could further reduce it to 433Kbs in total)

See attached xar

And you can determine whether it exports as a png or jpg by selecting the image (or Group) and going Web Properties / Image (at least in XDProX10)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edmiston99-filesizes.png 
Views:	221 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	107040   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export-as-jpg.png 
Views:	250 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	107041  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

You weren't kidding. Wow. What a file size difference. All of the neatest visual effects of Xara ultimately end up being impractical for actual use. That kind of sucks. I really like drop shadows, fixed backgrounds, popups that fade in, etc... I do think it's worth not using these effects though, considering. Thank you for the advice.

I did the same thing with www.edbergstromfishing.com. It definitely speeds things up.
    Last edited by edmiston99; 08 April 2015 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edmiston99 View Post
    All of the neatest visual effects of Xara ultimately end up being impractical for actual use. That kind of sucks. I really like drop shadows, fixed backgrounds, popups that fade in, etc... I do think it's worth not using these effects though, considering. Thank you for the advice.
    Oh they are worth using, but not in excess. You have to consider the local PC performance among all other things.
    None are impractical when used well, but mixing many on a single page along with 'heavy' images and third party scripts/html snippets and so on can just bog the browser down. At the end of the day it is my belief that the designer must take full responsibility for the final output and the performance of their website.. Xara just provide the tools that you use to build your vision.

I don't mean to not use them at all. I meant in the way that I was using them. Definitely creating a compound issue by stacking these effects. Thank you again.

Info Re: Pop-Up Layers Not Closing Automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by edmiston99 View Post
    I don't mean to not use them at all. I meant in the way that I was using them. Definitely creating a compound issue by stacking these effects. Thank you again.
    While I have not found any problem of the type you are getting, I felt it could be alleviated using a mixture of Xara design approach and some JavaScript.

The design file here, CSS3 - Coffee Label.web, deconstructs your coffee label and Placeholder form to recombine them in a much smaller payload.

Each Form Placeholder has a Name of htmlclass=fade. I decided to use a fade in/out time of 0.75 seconds.
    • This very fine control is in the CSS3 - Fade Placeholder that invokes fade action.
    • Each Form Placeholder and Label is now on the MouseOff layer.

Each Form Placeholder embeds an Envelope bitmap as a background. I gave this a Name of filename=envelope.
    The text describing the coffee variety are in SPAN tags in the Placeholder code.
    The addition of a Shadow now does not interfere with any of the other effects or actions.

I cut out your roundel so I could Name it (filename=crcc).
    By doing so, your packet could be varied as it is now a box with a repeating linear fill.

There are a lot of design techniques in this page that I hope are of use to others too.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat