Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Can I create a website variant but blank for me to complete?

Hi

Is it possible to create a website variant, that's attached to my already created site, without using the auto create tool. As my site is way too big for the tool to cope with (156 pages) my only option is to start with a blank variant and build it from scratch. I do need it though attached to my site as a variant so it will be exported along with the main site, hope I've made myself clear? thanks.

Default Re: Can I create a website variant but blank for me to complete?

It's not a variant if it's a seperate site. You'd need to add some code in the .htaccess file to redirect visitors on mobiles to the different site.

In fact I'd say your better off creating a variant of your current site (if it's LookIn that you're talking about). You only need to resize all the images down and create a seperate menu page.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    It's not a variant if it's a seperate site. You'd need to add some code in the .htaccess file to redirect visitors on mobiles to the different site.

In fact I'd say your better off creating a variant of your current site (if it's LookIn that you're talking about). You only need to resize all the images down and create a seperate menu page.
    Hi Egg

you've miss understood me, when you use the variant tool it creates a separate tab, that's what I meant, it looks like a separate site but it saves as one site. Is there a way to create this second tab/variant without using the tool. I can do it with the tool but it takes forever on 156 pages then I will have to delete shed loads, thanks.

Basically no. You could make a copy of your xar file and set the page widths to 480px then adjust the content as desired but that'll be even slower than creating a variant in the original file.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host