Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default 1920s Apothecary and Haberdashery

Well, I looked and searched, but I couldn't find my original posting of the apothecary, so I'm posting it here.
    It had been finished, but...
    The wife wanted a different size than originally requested, so I had to go back and add to this drawing so that it would fit the next size up for the printer has for canvas prints. It involved adding another building (haberdashery), a light post and a lady. I think its done, but I'm going to wait and see if the wife is going to want any more changes...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apothecary 20x30.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	106738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apothecary 20x30wireframe.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	106739  

R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Default Re: 1920s Apothecary and Haberdashery

You are a talented guy.

I like it very much Ron. What are those shapes seen in the two 2nd story windows on the left? At the moment they make no sence to me.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

This is turning into a really lovely series Ron.

Your talent never ceases to amaze me Ron, a great image as always.

Stygg

Great composition again and I really like your style.

Hi Larry those are reflections in the window and I think they work. I like the drawing a great vector image. Ron how good are you in PhotoShop, now this is a proper question, if your're OK with it why not take it in and get everything a bit dirty.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Great drawing as usual. Windows are fine in my opinion and everyone is going to look most of the time at the car and street level anyway.

I think it would work even better as a greyscale image, as it would reflect that time period more. Vector graphics are usually too clean, so some added noise could also work for this image to make it look aged.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    Hi Larry those are reflections in the window and I think they work. I like the drawing a great vector image. Ron how good are you in PhotoShop, now this is a proper question, if your're OK with it why not take it in and get everything a bit dirty.
    If that's what they are, in my humble opinion, they are to opaque.
    What I would have done is show something that is clearly behind them so they come off as surface reflections. Wouldn't have to be much, just something to give the impression that they are on the surface of the glass

I have spent a long time comming up with a style to give glass a surface and depth, wasn't something I was taught but something that gragualy evolved. Admittaddly it was a a style.

After I left the company there was a guy that wase excellent doing ccomputer architectural renderings and one of the things he latched onto was how I did glass.

Later if I can find it I might post a painting of a door and it's reflections by my favorite artist Richard Schmid, well maybe a link because i'm sure it is coppyrited.
    Last edited by wizard509; 23 March 2015 at 02:38 PM.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    If that's what they are, in my humble opinion, they are to opaque.
    What I would have done is show something that is clearly behind them so they come off as surface reflections. Wouldn't have to be much, just something to give the impression that they are on the surface of the glass

I have spent a long time comming up with a style to give glass a surface and depth, wasn't something I was taught but something that gragualy evolved. Admittaddly it was a a style.

After I left the company there was a guy that wase excellent doing ccomputer architectural renderings and one of the things he latched onto was how I did glass.

Later if I can find it I might post a painting of a door and it's reflections by my favorite artist Richard Schmid, well maybe a link because i'm sure it is coppyrited.
    Peter, that's a very good idea. I don't have Photo Shop, but I can look at other avenues to give it a try. Of course, the wife has the final say on it.

Larry, that would be GREAT! Thanks SOOO much! Yes, maybe they're a bit harsh and should be softened?

Thank you Gary, Paul, Peter, theinonen, Boy and Stygg for looking and for your observations and kind remarks.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer