Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penrose Tiling

Smile Penrose Tiling

Download BobI.exe from here: http://stephencollins.net/penrose/

Play and print to PDF. Import into your Xara application.

S10.pdf

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Penrose Tiling

One person's Penrose is...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D Bob.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	106728  

I downloaded the Penrose generator so that I might be able to do some interesting floor tile designs for maps, or weirdly shaped structures choosing the outline edge of a complex Penrose star design.

Hi Folks,
    I'm a sucker for pattern makers so I brought down BobI and did some fiddling. It is good fun but ultimately I found it a bit limited in the number of iterations I could go to. My machine got up to #13 with the Skinny rhombus and #14 with the Fat rhombus. At this stage there were more than 1 million rhombii to be looked at. The autowalk feature was most fun and I reproduced most of the ones illustrated at the site. My best effort for a closed flower was one with 20,580 steps in it, which I've added here. I'm not sure that I've played with it all but it does seem to take up a fair amount so I stopped after an hour or so. cheers, Erik.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BobFlower2 20,580steps.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	106746Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BobFlower1 20,580steps.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	262.4 KB 
ID:	106747. 4

@EJ, my machine started to baulk after those iterations too.
    The trick is what to do with what you can generate and a little masking, object placement, moulding and folding won't go amiss.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,
    My initial note was really just to say that I had got it and was playing with it. Now when I get some time I'll try and get some bits into Xara and see if I can be messy. I've been in touch with the creator and he said the program is a very old and not being actively worked on. He thinks he got up to iteration 16 or 17 at the time. If I get anything worthwhile in the next few weeks I'll post them. I also noticed that there is a lot of Penrose material on the net but have not found any other general programs there. Must be some though.

cheers, Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Download BobI.exe from here: http://stephencollins.net/penrose/

Play and print to PDF. Import into your Xara application.

S10.pdf

Acorn
    Hi Acorn,

As usual I was too greedy so I downloaded the penrose tiling programme. Now I want to get rid of it again but did not detect Bob on my control panel where I uninstall my programmes. I did however see the programme in another file. Not sure what to do: can I just delete the three files that make out the Bob programme?

Thanks for your help

Hélène

Hélène ,

I could be wrong but the way I see it is that program is an exe and not an installer, so it does not write a bunch of stuff to the registry or anywhere else. That's why you can't find it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Hélène ,

I could be wrong but the way I see it is that program is an exe and not an installer, so it does not write a bunch of stuff to the registry or anywhere else. That's why you can't find it.
    Ok! So this means I can just delete the map without having to uninstall?

Hélène

Yes, I think so.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.