Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Site Check

This is the latest edition of Stingerweb and it is on-line. Don't worry about hurting my feelings on this, I want to know about anything that is wrong. This is avery complex site and it is hard for me to find any mistakes on my own.

Thanks in advance to anyone who views this site.

[This message was edited by Deep (just a guy) on November 21, 2000 at 06:18 AM.]
    IP

If you clicked on the first "Stingerweb" link, it might not get you to the web site. The second one works fine.

Sorry for the confusion.
    IP

I just edited your message so the link works fine. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

As for the site, it looks really good. A few comments, however:

1) The font looks too flat on that 3-D interface. If you could jazz it up perhaps with a drop shadow or some bevelling it might not look so disjoint;

2) The fonts in the text are huge. It gives the reader the impression that they're supposed to be visually impaired in order for the page to feel right. It's perfect if you're targetting visually impaired clients - but otherwise you might want to make it a little smaller. Large text in the content portion of your page will generally remind people of their Grade 2 Mr. Muggs readers, if ya know what I'm saying; [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

3) The tweening on the drop-down menu from the navbar is a bit choppy. Maybe insert a few more frames to make the animation smoother, and then increase the fps of your movie to maintain the speed. It might require a bit more load time, but the overall effect might be worth the extra second and a half;

4) The tweens between the pages of content text are nice, but having the text just suddenly appear is a bit disjoint. Maybe you could try tweening them in with the rest of the screen, or else try and get them to appear a bit more dynamically.

Other than that, it looks great! Remember, these are just suggestions, btw. Incidentally, I love the 3D scorpion! Kudos!

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)

<pre><font face="courier" size="2">,-----------------------------.

| Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math |

| Graphic/Multimedia Designer |

| ICQ#: 39102360 |

| Medius Communications, Inc. |

| http://www.medius.com |

`-----------------------------'</font></pre>
    Moderator - i/us Flash Forum
    hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    --
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    CTO
    9 Story Entertainment
    http://www.9story.com
    IP

I agree with you on the text size and I have already changed it to be smaller. In the next few days I am going to be adding some sort of tweening to the text as it appears on the different scenes (another thing I agree with you on). The reason that I didn't have the text follow the screens as they move is it got really processor intensive and became very choppy. I opted to do all the text in separate movies and have them load with the appropriate screen.

The nav bar being choppy is something that has puzzled me from the beginning. If I change the movie to "not" load the text movies, it flows perfectly. For some reason, when the text movie is loaded into the screen, it becomes very choppy indeed. Any insight on that one?

Again, thanks a million for you comments.
    IP

I have made some modifications to the Stingerweb site and hope that you will give it another critique. I changed the text size, (to some extent) fixed the menu, and added some animation to each section. I could not make the text portion of the scenes animate without it being choppy so I animated the arrows at the bottom of the screen. It seems to make a difference to me. Let me know if you think otherwise.

Thanks in advance,
    IP

It looks a lot better...I still think the text appears too suddenly, but now I'm thinking that maybe if you take the easing out off of the tween for the headings, it might look a bit smoother. I like the easing out, but it's just too much time between the appearance of the header and the appearance of the content text. Other than that, I think the site looks pretty good! BTW, what do you use for 3D modelling? The ant image looks familiar - did you have that on your older site? Or did you ever post that in an online gallery?

I also ran into a bug with the grand canyon title appearing on rollout, disappearing on rollover, but I haven't been able to reproduce it. If I can, though, I'll let you know.

Keep up the good work!!!

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)

<pre><font face="courier" size="2">,-----------------------------.

| Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math |

| Graphic/Multimedia Designer |

| ICQ#: 39102360 |

| Medius Communications, Inc. |

| http://www.medius.com |

`-----------------------------'</font></pre>
    Moderator - i/us Flash Forum
    hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    --
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    CTO
    9 Story Entertainment
    http://www.9story.com
    IP

We use a few different 3D programs. The Ant picture that you asked about was done with Bryce 4 and it was on an older version of the web site. It is also in a few galleries on the web (Hotbar, metacreations, etc).

About your suggestions for the web site. I never even thought about taking the easing out of the page titles. Great idea! I'll play with the actionscript a little and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for all your help.
    IP