Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twain Support

Default Twain Support

Something I have wanted for a long time is:

1.- The ability to scan from within the application
    2.- To be able to create and offset vector shadows on text, like CD has (or used to)

Info Re: Twain Support (& Vectored

On 2., it exists:

1. Enter a line of text.
    2. Clone it.
    3. Put the clone, offset onto a different layer (do not use MouseOver & MouseOff, you need Mouseoff and some other layer).
    4. Colour, feather and tweak either or both.
    5. Soft-group the two text lines.

Can you describe or demonstrate the effect that CorelDraw uses?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Twain Support (& Vectored

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    On 2., it exists:

1. Enter a line of text.
    2. Clone it.
    3. Put the clone, offset onto a different layer (do not use MouseOver & MouseOff, you need Mouseoff and some other layer).
    4. Colour, feather and tweak either or both.
    5. Soft-group the two text lines.

Can you describe or demonstrate the effect that CorelDraw uses?

Acorn
    I do vinyl cutting and in order to use it, the shadow needs to be placed and trim manually, it there's a lot of text or I need to do it several times or match something else, it becomes time consuming. It's been many years since I use CD, but I remember it was very interactive and it had many options such as different perspectives. I have probably never done in Xara manually...

No, a feathered object is a bitmap once exported.

As for scanning? Use Irfanview for scanning. Or a dedicated scanning application. There is far more control in the scanning process using something other than Twain in-app.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    No, a feathered object is a bitmap once exported.

As for scanning? Use Irfanview for scanning. Or a dedicated scanning application. There is far more control in the scanning process using something other than Twain in-app.
    Yes, because it's a bitmap It cannot be die cut, that's why I want to have interactive (and solid) vector shadows.
    I was using the scanning utility that is available someplace here because it was small and straight forward, but now my very old scanner doesn't work with Win7 64 bit. If Xara added the twain support, I would probably get a new scanner, even though, now a lot of photos and similar are worked through email...

See if VueScan has you scanner listed. It's what I use.

http://www.hamrick.com

Mike

Thank you for the link Mike, unfortunately my scanner didn't work with the software...

Quote Originally Posted by MVMusic View Post
    Yes, because it's a bitmap It cannot be die cut, that's why I want to have interactive (and solid) vector shadows.
    OK, throw away the feathering and you have vectored detail to work with.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

For a decal cut using a vinyl plotter/cutter use the contour tool.
    See my 2009 post here
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...579#post324579

What I'm getting at is to have the shadow behind the text and be able to move it freely and in perspective while at the same time having also the sides of the text (or the walls) being part of the shadow. Just like the 3D option, but with vectors. Doing manually is very time consuming since I'll have to blend shapes, join them and then delete points.