Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: What colour is this dress?

mass hysteria in the modern way
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Here's an article looking at the issue that's worth a read... (ipauland, I believe you)
    http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science...s-color-dress/
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Haven View Post
    Here's an article looking at the issue that's worth a read... (ipauland, I believe you)
    http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science...s-color-dress/
    Yes, I've seen it. It doesn't explain our situation.

People seem to be keen to explain this in a particular way, none of which seems to fit our particular circumstance, especially the colour correction or viewing separate images.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Yes, I've seen it. It doesn't explain our situation.

People seem to be keen to explain this in a particular way, none of which seems to fit our particular circumstance, especially the colour correction or viewing separate images.
    It's a fun effect, though, no matter how you look at it.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Indeed.

I hate to break it to you guys but I know for a fact that there were different images circulated
    There are indeed three images circulating. However it doesn't distract or explain how showing just a single image (not 3) to numerous people leads to two very different replies. That's not marketing nor mass hysteria
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    That's not... mass hysteria
    oh yes it is, bearing in mind that the term can be used in various different ways; all trending is a form of mass hysteria in one sense

the way two people see the same picture [given the same viewing conditions] very differently is a known phenomena placed generally on the 'optical illusion' end of the spectrum because that is sort of what it is, except that instead of 'confusing' everyone it only confuses some who's perceptions work in a certain way/ways
    Nothing lasts forever...

it only confuses some who's perceptions work in a certain way/ways

..like the whole of the population. We all perceive things in 'certain ways'.

This suggestion that some of the population are confused because they don't fit a given explanation is bordering offensive.

oh for crying out loud Paul - lighten up - I put 'confused' in inverted commas - the brain gets 'confused' by optical illusions, and this is in that sort of category; it has nothing to do with being confused in the sense of mental capacity

the colours are scientifically assessable - people who are not colour-blind 'should' see them a certain way under given conditions; if they don't and it is not a general thing that happens to them all the time but only for a specific picture, then signals are getting misinterpreted somewhere along the way however you wish to define that
    Nothing lasts forever...

Saw this on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AskAQwOBvhc

Whether this explains it all, I'm not sure.