Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: What colour is this dress?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    That's not... mass hysteria
    oh yes it is, bearing in mind that the term can be used in various different ways; all trending is a form of mass hysteria in one sense

the way two people see the same picture [given the same viewing conditions] very differently is a known phenomena placed generally on the 'optical illusion' end of the spectrum because that is sort of what it is, except that instead of 'confusing' everyone it only confuses some who's perceptions work in a certain way/ways
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

it only confuses some who's perceptions work in a certain way/ways

..like the whole of the population. We all perceive things in 'certain ways'.

This suggestion that some of the population are confused because they don't fit a given explanation is bordering offensive.

oh for crying out loud Paul - lighten up - I put 'confused' in inverted commas - the brain gets 'confused' by optical illusions, and this is in that sort of category; it has nothing to do with being confused in the sense of mental capacity

the colours are scientifically assessable - people who are not colour-blind 'should' see them a certain way under given conditions; if they don't and it is not a general thing that happens to them all the time but only for a specific picture, then signals are getting misinterpreted somewhere along the way however you wish to define that
    Nothing lasts forever...

Saw this on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AskAQwOBvhc

Whether this explains it all, I'm not sure.

Many years ago I think I posted a picture on TG of a chessboard that illustrated the same phenomena as that shown in the video.

To check our earlier findings, I sat side by side yesterday with my daughter and we both looked at the image of the dress on my laptop, a few feet away and saw the two variants by looking at the same image under the same conditions. It really is an amazing thing.

Thanks for posting the video.

I used to look at the rotating grid of the old early warning radar station on our coast, when I was but a babe', and could make it rotate either way round simply by the power of my perception alone.. or because I let my brain get confused, which ever way you want to look at it [pun intended]

such things have facinated me ever since
    Nothing lasts forever...

I used to work for a defense company. I went with my boss - whose hearing was poor and had a hearing aid - to an on-site visit to a company near a radar installation on the south coast.

I saw the huge rotating radar and made a comment about it.

He said "Yes, I know, every time it rotates I can hear a blip in my ear!"

Some smart cookies at the SA Sally Army..

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...y-south-africa

That's sharp!
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host