Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: What colour is this dress?

but when it's the same photo (ie not the dress in the real world under different lighting) then why do some see it as White & Gold?
    I would strenuously argue (I am six year older) that the dress is white and gold and there is no way it could be otherwise. Whoever hit upon this photo has uncovered something really major. I would be curious to hear was a vision/neurologist had to say about this phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I would strenuously argue (I am six year older) that the dress is white and gold and there is no way it could be otherwise. Whoever hit upon this photo has uncovered something really major. I would be curious to hear was a vision/neurologist had to say about this phenomenon.
    There's no major discovery here, Gary.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    There's no major discovery here, Gary.
    I'm not so sure. Plenty of people have commented on it, reasoning it out, but the effect is so startling and polarised, it's something really special.

Some people seem to see the darker colors shift when they view using peripheral vision versus looking straight at the photo. To further confuse there is another more over-exposed photo shown in television stories. The Tumbler photo and TV photos are badly over-exposed photos as produced through the camera's confused lighting sensor and the shop's lights (perhaps fluorescent with bluish cast) on the back of the dress and bright daylight in front of the dress.

I only see the black and deep blue colors in the photo on the far right no matter how I shift my gaze.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dresscolors.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	106400  
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Interesting analysis Maya. There is no doubt in my mind that lighting effects colors.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Four of us looking at the same image in the same room at the same time are perceiving it in two different ways, so it's not a question of lighting or any other changes causing a different perception in our case.

I've read that about 25% of those polled on it see the black and deep blue version of the Tumbler photo. I never do no matter how I look at it, it always looks like a light blue tone with browns. There is perhaps a physical vision element going on.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Haven View Post
    I've read that about 25% of those polled on it see the black and deep blue version of the Tumbler photo. I never do no matter how I look at it, it always looks like a light blue tone with browns. There is perhaps a physical vision element going on.
    Sounds like I see the same as you.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Sounds like I see the same as you.
    Indeed it does!
    Another thing to consider, possibly, is the viewing angle with computer monitors. On my laptop screen if I lean off to the side and view it everything turns darker in color. People testing the colors in a group might all try sitting in front of their computer in exactly the same eye level to the screen and see if there's any difference then.
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I'm not so sure. Plenty of people have commented on it, reasoning it out, but the effect is so startling and polarised, it's something really special.
    I'm pretty sure, Paul.
    If two people are looking at the same thing, then you will not get the sort of difference that's being talked about.
    Some minor differences, in some subtle shading? Yes.
    But, not what's being discussed here, and all over the Internet.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone