Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Re: RIP Leonard Nimoy

At age 83. Congenital pulmonary problems. Leonard will be missed. Paris on Mission Impossible, Spock on Star Trek, William Bell on Fringe, and the unforgettable Audi commercial he did last year with Zach Quinto.

It's sad, untimely, and illogical.

Warp speed 10, Mr. Spock.

-g
    Last edited by Gare; 27 February 2015 at 06:36 PM.

Nimoy's last tweet is a great quote and fitting epitaph. I'll bet he has had some great moments and memories in his life.

Thanks for the link, Paul.

May his memory be a blessing. He was one of the Tribe.

Decades later, I still love the character Spock in the original series.
    Leonard really made the part his own and gave it something special.
    The Vulcan salute and the neck pinch were Leonard's ideas.

We will definitely miss him.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Thanks for the link Paul. Leonard will surely be missed. He also had a great voice and narated many shows.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Sad day. May he rest in peace.

One of Leanard's Tweets before his near-final "Live long and prosper" was about how amazed he was that lung disease had caught up to him after 30 years of giving up smoking. His advice was a very compassion one to the future-addicted, "Don't start."

I'd love to honor his legacy, but am totally open to suggestions as to how to get the very real message across to new smokers that they should stop it immediately, and that goes for eCigs, too, which have been proven by Pew research to tobacco purchases, to get more "real nicotine". Leonard didn't have time to campaign, George Harrison didn't make much of his lung cancer and warning our youth—our future Claptons and Harrisons— but actor Yul Brenner did, quite dramatically. I don't know if everyone is old enough to remember the commercial, but when Yul was prescribed as terminal, he did a TV commercial that began with, "I'm going to die soon...because I smoke." or something similar. Very powerful message.

My own mission to honor the legacy of Nimoy, Harrison and all the other dear ones we lost to cigarette smoking is to try to find the right, the convincing words to get kids to think about what they're doing to themselves and their future. The rest, naturally is up to them.

I mourn the loss of great people who were victim to the chemical talons of slow-motion suicide. We've come a long way, baby (no pun intended), bit I think we need to do more to ensure the nurturing and growth of the soon-to-become actors, musicians, honest politicians and dancers, playwrights and pundits, into their destiny...and to stay here as long as possible.

Me, a 35 year old smoker, been quit for 10 years, no regrets,

My Best,

Gary

P.S. This is one of the best pics of Nimoy I've ever seen. Please forgive the lack of credits and appropriation of the image. I just wanted everyone to remember him this way, full of life, keen, wry, loving of his fans, and I'll take it down if the photographer so chooses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	color_nimoy_headshot.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	106399
    Last edited by Gare; 28 February 2015 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention cigarette companies and lobbies are assured a place in Hell.

Great photo of him. Thanks Gare, "live long and prosper" my friend.
    I myself quit in July,1981. No regrets here either.
    I saw something awhile back that more women than men smoke, (at least now).
    Personally I find it alarming that "vapor lounges" are springing up all over the place.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Whether it's smoking, drink or drugs. Addiction is very difficult to stop.
    Every individual has to have a reason to stop.

What I've personally said about smoking is, "Just give me one good reason to smoke, and I'll start right now."
    Whenever this subject has come up, no-one yet has managed to give me a good reason.

Anyway, a great character, actor and person has left us, and we should celebrate the memories.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leonard nimoy.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	106408  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone