Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CTRL-ALT-F (Find) doesn't search for the given text string in hidden layers

CTRL-ALT-F (Find) doesn't search for the given text string in hidden layers
    if this is intentional, why?
    if it isn't, please could you fix it, since spellchecking just the initially visible part of a document , thinking you are spellchecking all layers, could prove to be at best embarrassing at worst a client relations disaster
    if it's only happening to me, oh well, that figures
    thanks

frank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ctrl-alt-F.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	105907  
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Default Re: CTRL-ALT-F (Find) doesn't search for the given text string in hidden layers

I can repeat that.
    Maybe an oversight?

Default Re: CTRL-ALT-F (Find) doesn't search for the given text string in hidden layers

Should it then unhide any and all hidden layers to be able to display the find?

I've always clicked on the All layers / object visible icon in the Page & Layer Gallery when I search.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I've always clicked on the All layers / object visible icon in the Page & Layer Gallery when I search.

Acorn
    Tis what I have done when I had hidden layers with text.

it is clearly a usability design flaw
    there is no reason why you would create a layer, hidden or not, to intentionally retain its spelling errors
    the purpose of a hidden layer is to be revealed
    but since there is a workaround that requires a user to remember that search and replace won't work unless show all layers is selected it won't be addressed
    how about a xara roadmap to fix these long-known bugs
    not any time soon i'll bet
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    it is clearly a usability design flaw
    there is no reason why you would create a layer, hidden or not, to intentionally retain its spelling errors
    the purpose of a hidden layer is to be revealed
    but since there is a workaround that requires a user to remember that search and replace won't work unless show all layers is selected it won't be addressed
    how about a xara roadmap to fix these long-known bugs
    not any time soon i'll bet
    BF, thank you for extending the discussion.
    My workflow includes "Check spelling as you type". I know I'll will miss something; don't we all?
    What should the application do when it finds an error within a hidden layer? It would have to unhide that layer, then you might correct the mistake and then what? Only hide the layer on going to the next spelling mistake? What happens if you decide to tweak the text box position? Should the layer now be considered to be in play?

I don't find unhiding all layers as onerous.
    On exporting, I use small utilities to create a concordance of all text in the HTML file (just to really check).
    I also force myself to click through all links and the tooltips don't get spell-checked, which I consider to be more heinous.

What Xara should do is better explain how the tools should be used together.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

This isn't about spelling errors and I don't know why I gave you that worm, an error on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    What should the application do when it finds an error within a hidden layer? It would have to unhide that layer
    Not at all.

You know you have a particular word on a particular layer in the document but you cannot remember on which page and on which layer and you have something to add to that paragraph. So you Ctrl Alt F and search for that word -> the application currently takes you to that word, opening the layer it's on and highlighting on the screen the word in question. Unless it's on a hidden layer.

That is an omission.

On finding it on a hidden layer the application should simply take you to the layer, which cannot be hidden if you're on it. That's how it should work.

But what's even worse is that if you were on a hidden layer that obstructs the word in question which is on a visible layer when you initiate Ctrl Alt F, it also doesn't find the word! You can click Unhide all layersbut it still won't find the word you're looking for because, with all layers being visible, the hidden layers obstruct the word and Xara now doesn't see it.

There is no logical reason for Xara to deem you didn't want to find the word because it is on a hidden layer. This is a bug or, as Steve said more politely, an oversight. I'm also pretty certain it won't get fixed.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

if a layer is hidden then for it to be hidden from the search makes sense, hidden does not necessarily mean just 'visually'

I can see where you are coming from Frank, but I prefer it the way it is [in fact I'd prefer not to be able to add things to a hidden layer either]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    This isn't about spelling errors and I don't know why I gave you that worm, an error on my part.
    All I was trying to indicate is that finding a spelling error and a search use similar approaches and neither work on hidden layers.

Acorn