Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Insert Page Number

Is there a way to control the starting page number?

For instance, a document has a table of contents on the first page.
    You want Page 1 to start on the page directly following the table of contents page.

Default Re: Insert Page Number

There is no real automatic way to do this but the easiest way is to have 2 docs. One for content and the other table of contents using auto page numbering on the 1st. If you wanted to keep the whole lot together is place a text box on each page that you want to number and then link those boxes letting the text flow from one to the other. Then you have to fill the boxes with number generated text by copy and pasting into the first box. Because the digits after 10 you might have to fiddle with the text box size a pain go with the first.
    Design is thinking made visual.

One can only hope that this will change in the next release.

Thanks to confirm what wasn't directly addressed in the help file.

It is hard to believe that this convenient feature was implemented without a way to manage it.

I always hand-type each page number in my published Xara documents, besides I want my page numbers to be located at center bottom of the page, not on left or right side.

Gameprinter - Unless I am missing something, centered bottom of the page is the default setting.

What I have discovered is if you work in a double page format the left and right page numbers can have different alignment.

The two books I have art directed I had to do the page numbers manually because of the problem with the actual first chapter of the book starting on a page other than 1.

If you do single pages then the format is the same for all pages.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottom center.png 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.5 KB 
ID:	106301  

Maybe, let's just say I never rely on Xara putting in the page number for me, I've always hand-placed it myself. The reason I don't prefer left or right alignment, is that I sometimes don't know where page 1 will start (facing page or back page), sometimes blank pages are inserted after the cover, sometimes there's a title page, sometimes there's a table of contents - adding in such pages, changes which one is page one. Placing page numbers at center bottom, I can determine which side the page begins, only sometime later in the project, just prior to publication.

Generally I create a single page of two column text, then duplicate the page before I drop in the text. Notably I often create documents between 36 and 96 pages, though my current map tutorial guide books have closer to 248 pages.

Which all goes to illustrate that if Xara is serious about making XDP et al into a reasonable page layout software, one will need to be able to set sections so one can restart numbering, number type and position options and begin on options. One should be able to put page number in any text frame, positioned anywhere and set the number type and when to begin/reset.

In short, like every other layout software.

I moved this thread to Dear Xara. You never know.