Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Fuzzy pictures in slideshow

Dontcha just LOVE newbies!?

My latest problem - I use the freebie slideshow (I don't have Premium as I only do one small website for a non-profit group - so, yeah, I'm a total non-professional at this stuff). The photos I drop in are all pre-set (by me) to the exact size of the slideshow box (thanks to a great tip from someone on this Forum), and 72 dpi.

But when the slideshow runs, the photos are noticeably fuzzier and less distinct than the original that I dropped in there. I feel like I have cataracts or something.

So I 'optimized' them all - and that didn't help at all. I turned off the 'Retina' option - and that didn't help. I somehow think that 'optimizing' is the culprit, but I can't find any global switch that automatically optimizes all the photos. I dropped in some new, fresh, non-optimized photos -- and they show up just as blurry as the others.

Any ideas folks?

Thanking you in advance ...

Default Re: Fuzzy pictures in slideshow

Dontcha just LOVE newbies!?

Well yes!

They often have great ideas and use the software in a different way.

The only ones that aren't popular are the ones that complain it doesn't work like product XYZ.

72dpi is Apple screen resolution and since Windows screen resolution is 96dpi the images will be very blurry indeed.

Your images need to be exported (and have to be this or better before you export) at 96dpi if you want the images to appear sharp and focused.

And actually we don't mind newbies. They amuse us.

I don't really fully understand the relationship between manufacturers DPI today. In the past it had a relationship with the dot pitch of monitors, but that is no longer the case, and I've always believed that the notional text DPI is more about the relationship of text to display than graphics.

Many modern display have dot pitches that are neither 72DPI or 96DPI, so I would give it a go at a much higher resolution.

I know my Mac has a notional screen size of 1440x900, but the monitor resolution is actually double that.

The slideshow will be of a specific size, so I recommend producing artwork of exactly that size and/or double that size. I think DPI is pretty meaningless for graphics used for display.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I don't really fully understand the relationship between manufacturers DPI today. In the past it had a relationship with the dot pitch of monitors, but that is no longer the case, and I've always believed that the notional text DPI is more about the relationship of text to display than graphics.

Many modern display have dot pitches that are neither 72DPI or 96DPI, so I would give it a go at a much higher resolution.

I know my Mac has a notional screen size of 1440x900, but the monitor resolution is actually double that.

The slideshow will be of a specific size, so I recommend producing artwork of exactly that size and/or double that size. I think DPI is pretty meaningless for graphics used for display.
    Exactly!

Just checking something out here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	106253   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	96.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	106254  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72 stretched.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	106255  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    72dpi is Apple screen resolution and since Windows screen resolution is 96dpi the images will be very blurry indeed.

Your images need to be exported (and have to be this or better before you export) at 96dpi if you want the images to appear sharp and focused.

And actually we don't mind newbies. They amuse us.
    Please read this page and take special note of the example photos (which are displaying via your computer's video system)
    http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html

The OP needs to post his file so we can see what he is seeing.