Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Exclamation Question about brushes limitations

If anyone can generate a truly stupid question here, I can do it!

There is currently no way to save feathering or transparency with feathering when you design a brush from a drawing, is there?

Aside from making a bitmap copy with an alpha, and then saving the image as a brush component.

This seems like a large limitation for a feature that has been around for so many years in Xara. My results with a brush I have in mind result in no feathering, and is a pretty poor reproduction of the original.

TIA for a confirmation on this.

My Best,

Gary

Default Re: Question about brushes limitations

Not sure but I know there is a Save Brush option when you edit a brush. So if any feathering, transparency etc. is going to be saved with the brush then this would do it.

If not you can make a XAR document with a brushes you want to use and save it for future use. Copy one of the brush strokes and paste attributes to a new line or path.

Thanks for the quick reply, Gary.

No, and no. I've played with this for a while, and there is no entry point for repairing feathering or restoring it when you edit a brush.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Okay, this whole brushes area is locked from members and apparently only Mods can post here. I got a PM from a member in the know, who says no, no feathering capability.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++

This is what's happening, and this was going to be part of a tutorial this month, but I'll need to work around it by making a bitmap copy+alpha, and using bitmaps for the brush components. The vector design as a brush component is unacceptable as you can see here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hearts.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	106227

I don't know why I "assumed" high-fi copies in a new brush. This is a great feature but it has very few user-customizable features. We're quite a few versions behind Illy and CorelDRAW in the custom strokes department.

My Best,

OoG
    Last edited by Gare; 19 February 2015 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Got the info now.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Sorry to disappoint but I have played around with making brushes with feathering and it just doesn't work. It would be wonderful if it did. you also can't apply live effects to an object and create a brush the live effects are just ignored.

What you can do is to use a mix transparency in flat, linear, circular or ellpitcal to create a brush with soft edges. I know some of us have been asking for years for Xara to pay some attention to brushes and so far they haven't listened.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Try using transparency or blends instead.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hearts.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	106228Hearts.xar
    Last edited by Christine Farrelly; 20 February 2015 at 06:07 AM.
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Thanks, Frances. Handrawn wrote to me privately a while ago, same story.

Meh.

-g