Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just keeping my hand in [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I would rather the piston was round, but I think that would be inordinately complicated to arrange.

The animation was actually done in XaraX, first of all as 2D, then each frame had each component exported out to Xara3D and reassembled, for extrusion, bevelling, colour, and lighting, as a static 3D view, then exported as a static gif back into XaraX for assembling as an animated gif. I have another variation in mind which will keep the existing animation, and add a gentle swing to the whole engine as it runs.

Mike

Michael J. Sims
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine_3d_anim.gif 
Views:	1000 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	11018  

A swinging variation. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Mike

Michael J. Sims
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine_sw_anim.gif 
Views:	966 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	4526  

And again, another great animation.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I'm getting dizzy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Especially Egg's version.

Mike that is exceptional! If there were a Xara 3D competition I would have to award you a prize.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

The Xara Xone

Mike
    I am with Gary. You are creating some fantastic animations. Looks like the second one is in need of a major tuneup. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Mike

I know I'm still learning various techniques for using XaraX and Xara3D together, most of which I've picked up here at Talkgraphics - the first time I saw Egg's two little cogs spinning I knew I wanted to do something like that. I hope to add some techniques of my own.

{Sorry, I pressed something by mistake before I'd finished, and off the post went!}

I'm happy to have found a niche where I've discovered I can actually contribute something, instead of just lurking in the background. I've seen some superb, stunning creations here, and it can be daunting for a non-artist like me to put something up for public scrutiny by such talented people. Your encouragement is genuinely appreciated.

Michael J. Sims

[This message was edited by Mike Sims on October 04, 2002 at 14:27.]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mike:

Your creation deserve a tutorial format so that people can learn from that espacially there are so many mails in this forum about exchange between xarax and xara3d and use of multiple frames to combined diiferent motions. ANy volunteer

I see I've generated over 60 files in the process of making this animation.

Shreeit, I'd be willing to put together a tutorial based on the 2-stroke engine if there is enough interest, though I believe that a lot of the methodology has been covered before. I don't believe that I've added anything new, however. Perhaps having it all in one tutorial may be helpful, though. It would take me a while to put it together.

Mike

Michael J. Sims

The spinning of the whole engine was done in Xara3D, while the engine cycling was done in XaraX as mentioned above. This final one shown below consists of 27 frames picked out of 243 and rearranged. It's the small one! Its bigger predecessor had 54 frames picked out of 486 frames, and was way too big to post, so I redid it.

I think I'll definitely have to do a tutorial on this one, especially as at one point I didn't like the lighting on the first version, and had 9 X3D files to change the lighting on, and there was no easy way to note the positions of each light source accurately, so I just did one file, saved it, and edited the x3d file in notepad afterwards, copying the appropriate sections to the other 8 x3d files.

It was much easier than it sounds. Anyway, enjoy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Mike

Michael J. Sims

Thought I'd have an attempt at one of these animations. I did'nt check the lighting out for each frame and I'd change this if I was doing it again. Great fun isn't it. I'm intrigued by your use of notepad ???
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host