Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Animation Export

After creating a flash animation in Xara Designer Pro 10 I can export it and get the corresponding .swf file which works perfectly. If I then edit the animation and export the revised version the .swf file is not produced although no error message is received. The only way I can get it to work(sometimes) is to shut down Xara and re-boot the computer. Sometimes if I save as a different file name it works OK but only once. Where is the .swf file going (if at all)?

Default Re: Animation Export

Pay attention where you are exporting to, then after revising locate the file name and export as that. You will get a message if you want to replace the file, answer yes. As a matter of convenience I always export to the desktop, that way I always know where it is and can always view it and see if it is what I thought I did.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Welcome to TG Littonwebman,

I think you're getting confused slightly here between saving and exporting. If you save an amended xara file it gets saved as a .xar file. This saves the amendments you created in the parent file but doesn't create a new swf animated file. To do this you need to go to File / Export Animation each time you're happy with your amendments.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thank you for your responses. As I stated originally I can SAVE the (.xar) file without problem. I can also EXPORT the .swf file sometimes but not always. The export seems to take place correctly but the revised .swf file does not appear. Eventually, after re-booting the computer sometimes more than once, the file appears and works entirely as expected.

if you need to reboot to see the file it sounds to me like the file may be there all the time but not actually showing up in windows explorer, due for example to a windows cache/indexing problem

if you refresh windows explorer [f5] does the file appear?

can you find it with a search - preferably with a third party search program, as if this is an OS indexing problem windows search may still fail to find it
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

LWM, this is not a Xara issue. This is an issue that you're creating. I can't say how but Xara is perfectly capable of creaing amended swf files.

Perhaps you could explain you creation path?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    This is an issue that you're creating
    or like I say an operating system problem; might not be 'created by' LWM as such
    Nothing lasts forever...

or like I say an operating system problem
    What OS? Windows?

1: Create an animation in Xara.
    2: Save it.
    3: Export the animation.
    4: Amend the animation in Xara.
    5: Save it.
    6: Export the amended animation.
    7: Repeat step 4 as often as required.

Unless LWM can supply a file that doesn't conform to this export path I can't see how you can say it's an OS problem?
    Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Littonwebman View Post
    The export seems to take place correctly but the revised .swf file does not appear. Eventually, after re-booting the computer sometimes more than once, the file appears and works entirely as expected.
    that to me Egg is a potential OS problem, if rebooting alone makes a 'missing file' suddenly 'appear/reappear'
    Last edited by handrawn; 14 February 2015 at 11:24 PM. Reason: fix quote
    Nothing lasts forever...

I agree it could be an os problem, because I have had a similar problem but not with Xara. Even today I downloaded a file and it does not showup, so tried again, same thing.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.