Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Difference between “Page” and “Website” tabs

In the Web Properties tab, I'm struggling to understand the difference between “Page” and “Website” tabs

I thought the Website tab set the parameters globally - the same for every page, then Page tab lets you set stuff on a per page basis.
    I think WD10 seems to set the Website tab parameters by default from the first page?

I went to one page, in Website tab deleted Title, then in Page tab added different text to Page Title.
    When viewed in a browser, the page I amended still had the global page title text in there (from Website tab).

Looking at the source, the Title from the Website tab is still in the head of the page, then further down the head is the Title from the Page tab.
    My Firefox browser seems to read the first Title it comes to, then ignore the second one.

I see the help file says to use HTML code (Head) to add a title for the page. Done that, but still doesn't display in the browser.

Do I need to delete Website Title text from every page in order to get the individual Page Titles to work?

What's the point of having the Page Title field in the Page tab, if the help file tells me to add it via HTML code (head)?

Default Re: Difference between “Page” and “Website” tabs

Sounds like you are using a Supersite.
    A Supersite is a collection of pages under one set of HTML tags that would include the file's TITLE.

I would have thought that Xara should have included the JavaScript code to alter the TITLE to reflect the page you are viewing.
    Can you supply the HTML you found, and where if is mentioned?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi, thanks for your timely reply.
    You're quite right, it is a supersite. Here's the page I've altered:
    http://www.oriental-rental.com/index...ing-lesson-one

You can see the two instances of <title> in the source there:
    Firstly, <title>Lateral Thinking, Learn To Think Outside The Box</title> which comes from the Website tab.
    Then later on, <title>Lateral Thinking Lesson One</title> from the Page tab, which gets ignored by the browser, it obviously confuses it with two <title> commands.

I'm OK with coding html, but as a new Xara WD10 user, it's a bit of an uphill struggle for me.
    I'm developing this site at the moment, hence the robots no follow, no index, on the pages: This also fooled me, as I added it to each page, I see it's repeated on each page, the same number of times as there are pages.

Am I likely to have a similar issue with commands for Description and Keywords, due to this being a supersite? If it was a normal design (not a supersite), would WD10 behave more as I'd expect, allowing me to edit individual pages if I want?

I think we are still getting to gripes with what the Supersite loses.
    A 'normal' site would present everything you've described.

In passing, - your handle Mac Hine - is this the electromechanical or the pure automotive side?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Aside from the gripes I think you meant grips, Acorn.

@gary: good spot - probably both!
    Acorn

I'm pleased a "normal" site will behave more rationally, thanks again Acorn.
    Mobile website versions are a new animal to me. Before I bought WD10, I was under the impression that mobile browsers would cope fairly well when displaying a standard layout - although there can be a lot for them to interpret, in order to display correctly.

As an aside, and the comment from Gary on the "gripes": I assumed that you just have a wicked sense of humour (British English spellling there), and your spelling of the word was intentional!
    My handle is just due to my humour and a play on the word machine - as perhaps it could be the surname of a Scottish engineer. Having said said that, my background is electronics/telecoms.

Hi Acorn,
    Further to your comment regarding that it seems to be the supersite option that's causing my problem.

I've been wondering, if for example I deleted the mobile variant, as it's causing the lack of flexibility, then optimised the website as I want.
    Would you happen to know, if I then re-created a mobile variant, how this might affect the main version, and would it have any detrimental effect on the mobile version (creating it after optimisation for a standard website)?
    If no-one has any ideas, then I might just go ahead and try it. It's all a learning curve for me.