Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Text editing in Designer Pro X10

I just upgraded from Designer Pro 7. Text was completely editable in Pro 7. I could stretch the width, squash the height, whatever, to fit what I needed, and still edit the text. Now with Pro X10, it's not so editable. If I stretch the width, the height grows also. If I convert it into editable shapes, I can change the height and width seperately, but then I can't edit the text itself. Am I missing something? It just seems like a step backwards...

Default Re: Text editing in Designer Pro X10

Text when it is rendered is now HTML 5 compliant.
    I think this precludes compressed or stretched text.

Instead of editable shapes, group the text box to itself (select and then Ctrl+G).
    It can then be stretched but remains editable.

When rendered, it is now an image with the text placed into its Alt parameter.

I have not read the manual on this so there may be another explanation or solution.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The scaling of text has changed and personally, once you get used to it, it's an improvement.

If you drag the middle bounding box handles the text reflows to the new shape. So it is now magnitudes easier to resize a text area.

If you want to distort the text, for example to make it wider without changing the height, then disable Lock Aspect Ratio (the tiny padlock icon).

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Just to note which of these options to use really depends on what kind of document you are creating. If you are creating a website or a document that will be published as a supersite then you should use the grouping method as explained by Acorn to make sure your text is rendered correctly in all browsers. If you are not publishing on the web then Gary's method is a great alternative.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks, guys! Gary's info about the Lock Aspect Ratio is exactly what I was looking for. Did the trick. Great.

Now here's a thing.

I have checked a Text Box, Text Line and a Text Point and only the last stretches with the lock off.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    I just upgraded from Designer Pro 7. Text was completely editable in Pro 7. I could stretch the width, squash the height, whatever, to fit what I needed, and still edit the text. Now with Pro X10, it's not so editable. If I stretch the width, the height grows also. If I convert it into editable shapes, I can change the height and width seperately, but then I can't edit the text itself. Am I missing something? It just seems like a step backwards...
    I agree with everyone else that the newer TEXT BOX editing is better (control handles are still a tad too small).

The QUICK WORKAROUND FIX is simple. GROUP YOUR TEXT BOX (even if itself is the only object in your group).
    Keyboard Shortcut for GROUPING is CTRL-G. Keyboard Shortcut for UNGROUPING is CTRL-U.

Once you GROUP the Text Box area you should be able to drag & scale your Text Box freely. To revert back to free Text Box resizing (without resizing or scaling the text within the Text Box), just UNGROUP your Text Box.

However, there can be a Locked Aspect Ratio complication. Check to make certain that you have not locked the ASPECT RATIO on the text if it is UNBOUNDED TEXT (a text line not in the TEXT BOX shape).
    On the "Control Bar" INFOBAR there will be an icon which looks like a locked lock-icon (the background will be a lighter color) or an unlocked lock-icon (the background will be the regular Control Bar Color).

If you are resizing UNBOUNDED TEXT, a locked aspect ratio will prevent the Unbounded Text from being freely resized. You will have to Unlock Aspect Ratio by clicking that icon to toggle it to the "Unlocked Aspect Ratio" state.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XARA - Aspect Ratio Lock Icon.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	105997

@ Matrix:

control handles are still a tad too small
    Use XaReg 2.4 again to resize these too
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host