Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Drop Cap February 2015

I just don't get the connection
    The connection is simple Larry. There are very few words in the English language where a Q is not immeadiatly followed by a U:

Quick
    Quiet
    Quilt
    Quiz
    Quack
    Quiver
    Quality
    Etc

Try to think of any word starting with Q that isn't immeadiately followed by U
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks for clarifying that Egg, so Mike was right. However forgive me if I take exception to the use of two letters. I guess the way you are looking at it is replacing the first two letters rather than the first.
    Maybe you are setting a new trend.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I was going to use a font for this, Black Oak Std. Perhaps my copy is a poor copy, but the "Q" was wonky, so I redrew it in XDP10. I liked the tail of the "Q" and the overall feel to me seems a bit old-western.
    I used Filter Forge to make the Cartoon Wood background (default preset) with a flat brightness transparency for a painted-on look.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Q wood.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	106112  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Interesting Bob. I like it. You know, the more I find out about Drop Caps the more I realize how effective a single copital letter can be. But I have always liked the colorful ornate ones, so that's what I do. Granted I use a real font and mnipulte it in some way, right or wrong I don't know but that's usually what I do. The snow man O was completely origional though.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Okay, having totally confused Larry with my previous effort, here's one that should be slightly less difficult to grasp

Name:	god-save-the-queen.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	106133  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

OK Egg, get this one. A Morse code Q's on a Q. Good one.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

A simple one from me!

Name:	q drop cap.png 
Views:	142 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	106142  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Spot on Larry.

I named this attachment "God Save The Queen" as it was a way of learning morse code phonetically. So "God Save The Queen" related to dah dah de dah.

P: In a similar way "A Poor Poor Pip" related to de dah dah de

J: "A Large Jam Jar" related to de dah dah dah

L: "A Leath er ing" related to de dah de de

Sorry, totally off topic though.
    Egg

Good one Rik.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Egg I used to know Morse code very well but have forgotten most of it now, so I had to look it up to see if I was right.
    I remember some of my friends in the USMC were online for practice. One of the things they sent was "Bens best bent wire" That one definitely had a rhythm of dah dit dit dit kind of thing that made it real easy.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509