Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Alien Skin and Xara

Does anyone know where I can find a LEGAL copy of Eye Candy 6? I have 7 and it does not work in Xara or Corel products. I asked Alien Skin about this, and they wrote back telling me that they cannot sell me a previous version. They made suggestions for making EC7 work with my software, but I had already tried that.

Here is the response I sent to their email to me, expressing my sense of disappointment at not being able to use their software:

Hello Robert,

Thank you for the followup.

You made several suggestions on how I might be able to use Alien Skin software with Xara and Paintshop Pro, and I had already tried those suggestions several times before writing you. They did not work.

Unfortunately, you have made it impossible for me to continue buying most of your products. I regret that because I really like them. We have corresponded in the past, although you probably don't remember me. You made a favorable impression on me as a human being. I like Alien Skin plugins.

However, I'm not a professional graphics person and cannot afford the overpriced, clunky, and resource-heavy Adobe products. I'm actually retired and on a fixed income. Apparently, AS has made the decision not to service the needs of little people like me in order to focus on the corporate giants of graphics art world, and that makes me feel quite sad.

Although I am not a professional, a lot of people see my artwork. As one example, I am the volunteer webmaster of a community website, 15 Now Tacoma. I put up this website and did 99% of the artwork. I also maintain 4 other sites as well.

I mention this not to toot my horn but to say to Alien Skin that you may have made a mistake not to accommodate hobbyist graphic artists like me. Such actions may damage community good will, and artists are notoriously not drawn to corporatism.
    Regards,

Alan
    IP

Default Re: Alien Skin and Xara

I use Alien Skin Eye Candy 7 and Snap Art 4 in PSP X6 64-bit (and another bitmap editor). Didn't do anything special for "making" them work, just pointed to the folder I installed them to.

I don't want to install XDP 32-bit else I would try it there, too.

But why the rant here?
    IP

Hi mwenz,

You wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    I use Alien Skin Eye Candy 7 and Snap Art 4 in PSP X6 64-bit (and another bitmap editor). Didn't do anything special for "making" them work, just pointed to the folder I installed them to.

I don't want to install XDP 32-bit else I would try it there, too.
    It did not work for me in PSP X7, 64-bit version. Neither did Snap Art 4.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    But why the rant here?
    Actually, when I began this thread, my original post's first sentence was this:
    Quote Originally Posted by alanstancliff View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find a LEGAL copy of Eye Candy 6?...
    That's why I started this thread.

Do you (or anyone else) happen to know where I can buy a legit version of EC 6? I looked on eBay and Amazon before coming here, and Alien Skin doesn't sell older versions of their software.

Regards,
    Alan
    IP

Nope. No idea where to get a previous version.
    Actually, when I began this thread, my original post's first sentence was this...
    Yep. It was your response to them that wasn't really needed. I understand the frustration, though.

If it were my computer having difficulties, I would find out what was unique to my computer and make it right if at all possible. If not, I would try another bitmap editor to see if it works with EC7. Such as PhotoLine.

But have you tried using the 32-bit version?
    IP

The 32-bit version of Paintshop doesn't work with it either.

I probably did not need to include a copy of the email I sent to AS, but I hardly think it was a "rant." It was actually quite respectful.

Others have found EC 7 does not work well for most people on Xara. Check out this thread.

Regards,
    Alan
    IP

I meant the 32-bit version of PSP that also installs on your computer. That AS doesn't work in an Xara product doesn't surprise me and that is something for Xara to fix.

Mike
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hi Guys, First I've moved this down to the plug ins forum.

Alan I totally understand your frustration and while I have no idea about PSP I can tell you that I have both Eye Candy 6 and Snap Art 3 and they both work perfectly with Xara. The new versions of their programs are all being re written and they no longer work reliably with Xara. So Xara issues are definitely not just you.

It is not necessarily an issue for Xara to fix, in fact there maybe nothing that Xara can do. The problem is that AS changed the way their programs work and they no longer want to bother with ensuring compatibility with anything that is not Adobe. This is what I was told when EC7 first came out, straight from an AS tech.

As for finding a legal copy of EC6 I have no idea and I spent some time looking to offer up here at TG.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

@Frances,

Here, the AS plug-ins work fine with PaintShop Pro X6 64-bit (don't have X7), PhotoLine 64-bit and Corel PhotoPaint X7 and X7, both are 64-bit. These aren't "Adobe" products. But those companies ensure they are compatible with both 32- and 64-bit Photoshop compatible plug-ins.

What isn't Xara's responsibility to make their application work with Photoshop compatible plug-ins?
    IP

Hi Frances,

You wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Hi Guys, First I've moved this down to the plug ins forum.
    Thanks for moving this. I should have put it there myself.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    As for finding a legal copy of EC6 I have no idea and I spent some time looking to offer up here at TG.
    Thanks for looking. I tried to find it too. I saw a couple of opportunities to acquire it, but they looked suspiciously dodgy to me, and I want to make sure I have legitimate software on my computer.

I gather from AS that they don't even want to support "essentials" software anymore.

Regards,
    Alan
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by alanstancliff View Post
    Hi mwenz,

It did not work for me in PSP X7, 64-bit version. Neither did Snap Art 4.

Regards,
    Alan
    Although this is not the place to discuss PSP, I recommend you load Service Pack 1 for PaintShop Pro X7 from the Patches & Updates section of the Corel website and try again.

Grenou
    IP