Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: January 2015 Video Tutorial -- Tracing Is Not Cheating!

Wow! Sorry Maya, we were cross posting and I missed your post. Fantastic. Love it.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks, Egg! I had to update the pic as I forgot which one I'd last finished (I always have several ongoing files as I save them separately in case my laptop crashes Xara -- it's a puny computer).
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

But not puny results
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Wow to you both!
    Gary's newest tutorial made me realize two things: the full potential of the programme and how much I need to learn. This is why I recently started with learning from the workbook tutorials.

Hélène

Name:  Gclassic.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  3.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Hajeem View Post
    Wow to you both!
    Gary's newest tutorial made me realize two things: the full potential of the programme and how much I need to learn. This is why I recently started with learning from the workbook tutorials.

Hélène
    Hi Hajeem,

Just take it slowly and methodically. Some of the first Xara users, such as Gary Priester (and me) were "bootstrappers"—we basically had the documentation and CorelDRAW experience to help us better understand Xara's tools and power. But other than thast (and that's not a lot) we were on our own to learn the program, and to help others. And yes, Gary P.'s excellent Workbook series covers a lot of the basic info that you need to eventually grow into and own the program.

It's in the Archives area of Xara Xone, and all you do is to click this link.

Gary Priester's Workbook Xara Xone series

My Best,

Gary

Eric, it seems as though you and Maya are just too fast to address and successfully complete a challenge. I wan to thank you for posting the wireframe view in XAR's native file format so others can eventually learn from it, and your approach and skills.

Interesting things happen when a glass object is brightly lit when it's on a surface: the shadow takes on the color of the glass in places, as you see if you look carefully at the image I posted. If you don't mind, I'd like to take a crack at adding the shadows to the dinner scene.

Maya, your work is astounding, and if this were a real contest, I'd have to disqualify you, not because your work is wrong, but that it's award-winning all the time, and I want to give others a chance to with this hypothetical award.

Wait: I got it. Winners excluding Eric and Maya, for their finished trace get to study with Maya for a week.

I think that's fair. :)

I have another image challenge coming up and it's going to be a little different, and definitely approachable by beginner to intermediate artists.

Name:  Smirk Jester.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  5.2 KB

Yes Gary, re the shadow. As stated I'm going to give it a whirl too when I get the time.

On the matter of Combine Shapes:

Gary: I’ve not experienced gaps when a “slice and dice” operation is performed, but I’m usually unobservant, so it goes. One thing that creates a gap is having an outline width on any of the shapes to be processed. If, for example, each shape has a 1 point outline, when you do intersect shapes, the product will not have the precise intended dimensions. Always remove outline widths before Boolean-ing.
    I attach a simple example xar file showing what occasionally happens when slicing. I can't say it's my experience that Combining either with or without a stroke makes any difference. Have you an example?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Hi Eric, I've attached my own Xara file. I did not use Slice because it does indeed produce a weird and undesired product, but to tell you the truth, all these slice and dice features are Boolean operations, and frankly when I first opened Xara, I noted that "Slice" is not in the vocabulary of Boolean ops. It could mean that the vocabulary from the quite limited Boolean phrase book is wrong. The only have stuff such as "A plus B" which is Add, and "A without B" which is subtract. So if the leaf is the desired result, all I did was do an Intersect and the leaf is a valid, proper shape.

I've got an example on page two that shows it you want an array of a specific value of squares, like a chess board, if your source square has an outline, you'll get a different value thean if you create the array with a copy function.

My Best,

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 31 January 2015 at 03:44 PM.

Hi Gary,

Your attachment isn't working

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
    Egg

Weird. I just clicked the ink, and here's the story (in pictures ):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d2717d47f7166d4bb175598e0f430154.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	105894

Name:	28973490cc650152952078e45fc9021a.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	105895

I'm attaching a zip here in case the XAR mime type went off the tg forum for some reason, and I did take a cursory which at shading the blue bottle on the table. It's part shadow and part transmitted blue.

Name:	shadows on blue bottle.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	105896

My Best,

Gary