Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Default Re: January 2015 Video Tutorial -- Tracing Is Not Cheating!

@ stygg—

You're a lot more successful than you give yourself credit for, stygg. Wat you did is QUITE remarkable. I didn't really expect anyone to take me up on this challenge because on the surface, it looks insurmountable, buy I do believe you did it!

Three thumbs up!

Gary

Love your drawings Rik & Stygg.

Possibly off-topic but in 1970 I had some leave due and worked as a docker for six months in Shoreham, Brighton, on the south coast of the UK. A lot of the trade was wine from Spain which was all in wooden casks. I can't remember now whether they where Tuns or Butts. The dock company employed a full-time Cooper to repair defective casks (obviously empty ones!). It always fascinated me watching this man work, repairing the barrels. There wasn't a straight edge on any plane. If he needed to make a new stave it all seemed to be done by eye using an adze and steaming. There was no glue involved, just the the iron hoops which were hammered down the curved surface of the barrel, and of course weren't straight either.

For more information see here:

If I get the time I might try drawing a barrel of Coke
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Okay, found time. Only thing that wasn't my drawing was a vector of the Coke logo which I got from Brands of the World. (Did apply fills & mould though):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coke-barrel-3.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	106071  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 09 February 2015 at 02:21 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Cheers Gary for your kind comment in #91, much appreciated.

@Rik and Egg- thanks for posting your images, it gives me more work to try and I love that cask Egg, must attempt that

Stygg

Hope the binding is top quality, Egg.
    We don't want anything leaking out!

Excellent drawing.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Great work Egg!
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hi Egg—

The fact that they don't use glue is a testament to craftsmanship. We have the Amish in Pennsylvania, and when they build things such as houses and chairs, their craftsmanship is so demanding that they don't use nails or screws—they lock panels and stuff into place with wooden pegs. Remarkable stuff.

If I might kibbutz after complimenting you on a fantastic rendering of a keg (what's the difference between a keg and a barrel?); your work is detailed and just leaps out at you like a 3D image.

I'd like to see you challenge yourself and 1.) add perspective to the keg; make the viewer look down at it so they can see two sides of the keg. 2.) The other thing (I thought) I was showing this month is how a tracing fits into a scene. A composition, as opposed to rendering an object, tells a story. The keg might be in the hold of a dimly lit ship for all we know. so you shade it a little differently, and add a floor and a background. Believe me, please.

I did a fast, uneducated, simple render of a keg on a floor here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barrel-thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	106076

The shadow supports it within the scene, I obviously didn't put the labor into the keg that you did, and I "cheated" and used a 3D program, because it's faster at composition building than drawing the whole thing.

Is there anything you see in a large sense that might make sense adding to your illustration?

Attached are all the files for the background and a sketch of the keg in perspective. I did this for you, and only you, in the hopes you'd consider taking something grand and making it royal.

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Gare; 09 February 2015 at 04:29 PM.

Hi Gary, strangely enough I was originally going to do a top down drawing but I found one that had more detail for the staves etc. Excuse me for not using your supplied files but here's one I thought matches your inspirations. The floor & wall images are bitmaps, the rest contain vectors shapes, some bitmap filled, others various flat & transparent fills.

Name:	barrel2-3.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	106081  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 10 February 2015 at 02:54 AM.
    Egg

what's the difference between a keg and a barrel?
    Quite an interesting question G.

A cask seems to be the generic name for liquid volume containers, one of which is a barrel.

A keg however seems to have many different volumes and again is more a generic name than a measured amount.

Since keg sizes are not standardized, the keg cannot be used as a standard unit of measure for liquid volumes.
    My favourite liquid containers name is a "carboy" used for carrying corrosives/acids

Name:	barrel-sizes.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	106082  
    Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Gary...Excuse me for not using your supplied files but here's one I thought matches your inspirations.
    Hi Egg—Absolutely thrilled with your work and no need to excuse yourself. My rendered model took all of 15 minutes to pull, and all I wanted to do is push you to the next level...perspective, accurate lighting, complete scene, and if this isn't featured in The Outsider, there's something wrong with them!

Aces!

Buy you a keg.

Or barrel.

Or flagon, forget it! :)

My Best,

Gary