Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Import Illustrator AI Files - Preserving Layers

Sorry for this noobie question.

I would have tested myself, but my trial has expired.

I'm looking at joining a stock graphic club, where most of the files are in AI format.

If I buy xara designer pro x10, would I easily be able to import the AI files into xara and work on the individual layers?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

Default Re: Import Illustrator AI Files - Preserving Layers

Welcome to TalkGraphics

A lot of stock clip art in AI format was created in earlier versions of Illustrator. So the results can be mixed.

What I have noticed is that a lot of Illustrator created vector art has filled paths that are not closed shapes. So while they are fine if you don't edit them, once you start trying to apply different fills or outlines you run into some problems. But once you know what is happening it is easier to work around the issues.

Default Re: Import Illustrator AI Files - Preserving Layers

You will find when editing these files that there is a lot of ClipView which needs to be sorted before you can do any editing. The easiest way to proceed is to use Alt+Q and then Ungroup if required Ctrl+U. Good luck if you want to edit these files. I wouldn't say that you are going to across too many not closed shapes but lines that surround closed shapes must be dealt as individual parts of the shape whichs not the way Xara products work they tend to be the same part of the shape. Just delete the line and give the closed shape a line thickness.
    Design is thinking made visual.