Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: January 2015 - Tips and Tricks - Edgework: Another Step to 3D Drawing

Thanks Gare! That would be great (a bump map of the tile) whenever you have some time. Very cool Borg tile too!
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Default Re: January 2015 - Tips and Tricks - Edgework: Another Step to 3D Drawing

Let me make this as little Off Topic as possible:

In the Zip archive attached are 3 new "Tech" textures and do not try to use them with the original because they aren't the same design. Within the file is a color map, a displacement (or bump) map, and a Normal map. These can be used on a cube in a modeling program if you understand texture trees and where each channel image goes.

Having rendered a detailed cube you like, then use it as a study in Xara. The point of this tutorial was to make images look 3D, not necessarily copied a rendered image. I did the hard way, so should you!

Name:  Smirk Jester.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  5.2 KB —g
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Very interesting tutorial. I had a quick go with a different texture. The red hexagon texture looked kind of rubber like and it made me think of a type of dog toy that you put a treat into.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doggietoy.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	105776  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

@ Frances— your dog toy is not only very dimensional and well-lit (I like the umbra and penumbra you put as shadows to the right, and the background keeps the "action" going in a still image with the spotlight effect.

Yes, indeed, the texture was supposed to be plastic. Truth it, I created it after a kitchen pot scouring brush, and if we were to put a handle on it,you'd have a second masterpiece!

Well, done, oh artisté! Keep up the improvising.

You, Frances, learn so much for your own work by going through these tutes. Your work just keeps getting better and better.

Gary

There is really good images from Maya and Francis from this months tut. Gary so sticking with the original I changed the lighting and darkened the right side, cut back on the severity of subtract shapes and added a couple of extra extended shapes and gave myself a little license with a quirky shadow

Stygg

Name:	Cubes.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	105782  

I think it's a lot more photorealistic, don't you, stygg? I think you did well.

Hey, it might be fun to put it over a photograph, and advert for someting and see how it compares and fits in, no?

Name:  smirk2.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  4.4 KB

Gare thanks for the tutorial, started with the cube but somehow it again became a sphere in some very grunge format

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GrungeMeteor.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	105790

Anyway just relating the sphere technique used the "blend method" not the fisheye, so filling a circle with the bitmap fill, after clone it and make it smaller but with a sightly wider fill, then doing a 50 steps blend between of them. It was described once somewhere in the depth of the forums but not sure in which thread. Relating the 'edgework' tried to use the Eraser tool

Great works Frances, Stygg and Csehz! It's always fun to see all the creative ideas that develop from the tutorials.

I did some changes to Gare's original tech texture yesterday before the new ones were offered. Back to the Borgish cubes...

Name:	techcube_mayas_sm.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	105791  
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Now that's a borg ship Maya, love it

Stygg

I like that Csehz, it gives me the feeling of something in there waiting to jump out at me, dark and creepy

Stygg