Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default How can I break apart a compound shape without losing the effect (Ai CS6)

I have created a gradient effect in Illustrator that spans 2 text layers and an image (png attached) I then created a compound shape in pathfinder to get the final effect as seen. Now i am trying to break the shape apart without losing the effect so that they can be placed at different positions on the original logo. There is a rope path weaving through the original but i can't get that effect again, its either on top or underneath.

Thanks in advance if you help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Compund Path Issue.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	105697  
    IP

Default Re: How can I break apart a compound shape without losing the effect (Ai CS6)

I always try and work in layers and this is a natural way to work with your example. Firstly I don't know what the name of your font is so I can't give an exact list for things for you to do but with a normal font I would follow this list:
    Type out your word with "space or space again" for man. Place your man in the space
    Copy your text and man to a new Layer (just drag to new layer)
    In the new layer right click, and choose Create Outline, so that we can apply gradients to the text (I wonder why doesn't Adobe make the text go with gradients without converting the text into outline).
    Apply a linear Gradient to your outlined text + man
    In your old layer create Outline to all again.
    With both still selected under the Object menu through path choose Offset Path and give size to suit around 1 to 1.5 mm with white colour and black outline of about 2 pt.

Sorry you could miss a few steps there by Create Outline of text -->Select both man + outline and drag to new layer --> Then give Gradient to both ---> Go back to first Layer and do the Offset Path on both.

Hope you can understand this and it is nice to see you in Talk Graphics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compound.png 
Views:	570 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	105701  
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP