Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WD6 Flash slideshow not visible on ipad

Just wondering about something. I have created a Flash photo slideshow on a site created in WD9 Premium that starts automatically when web page loads, which works fine when accessing the web via computer but of course is not visible on Safari on Ipad as Flash is not supported (possibly also on a Mac using Safari, but have not tried that yet).

So is there any way of creating an alternative xhtml slideshow that does the same thing? I know the Xara widgets can do this but I need to replace a Flash slideshow built from the bottom up. Perhaps I can export the slideshow as xhtml?

Alternatively I guess I could just stick a static photo over the placeholder as a workaround but that would then cover the slideshow, unless perhaps the slideshow is put on a pop-up layer? Hmmm......

Default Re: Flash slideshow not visible on ipad

You could try google swiffy to convert it to html.
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

visualslideshow.com is non-Flash and works on mobile devices as well as computers.

You have to create a placeholder and add the code that is generated in the visual slideshow index.html file to the placeholder. And the two folders DATA and ENGINE have to be added to the root directory of your website.

Flash is not supported (possibly also on a Mac using Safari, but have not tried that yet).

Flash is fine on a Mac. Good plan to use alternatives though.

Flash is fine on a Mac. Good plan to use alternatives though.
    But, Flash is not supported by iOS which is the problem. Apple in their infinite wisdom decided they would not support Flash on mobile devices.

But, Flash is not supported by iOS which is the problem.

Yes, I know.

I'm just saving the OP the bother: "possibly also on a Mac using Safari, but have not tried that yet".

I agree with you about the alternative solution.

Thanks for the feedback Thought also I could simply stick in a pic as the placeholder for flash file to 'fool' the ipad so that it just shows the pic, rather than a blank space. Either way, some options that I can explore. Can't wait...

Report back and let us know how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine Farrelly View Post
    You could try google swiffy to convert it to html.
    I am trying to convert it with Google Swiffy but struggling to figure out how to insert the converted html file into my website. If I download the file to my local drive, I can then insert the resulting path to the file (ie. file:///C:/Users/Steve/Documents/Websites/SeF/Skapenforandring_web_files/Slideshow_new.html) within an iFrame tag in the Body field in the Placeholder tab in Website properties. That kinda works in preview (only it is too large even after adjusting dimensions in code on Swiffy output).

Would this new html file then upload to the FTP server once i re-publish the site, or not, given it is a path to a local file on my hard drive? I have read elsewhere that I could physically transfer the file to the server via software such as Filezilla, but am reluctant to download it as the latest version apparently has malware (ref. user reviews on Download.com). Even then, how could the uploaded file be linked to the placeholder on web page?

According to Google Swiffy´s upload page, I can copy the ´swiffycontainer´div and script tags to embed the file in my website, but not sure what is the correct code and where it can be inserted.

Any pointers in the right direction most welcome!

PS. Thanks a lot Apple (not)!

In the meantime, I have found a useful workaround to avoid the blank space that appears on iOS where the Flash placeholder should be by simply inserting the first pic onto page and then converting it into a placeholder with the swf file attached. This generates a preview image that appears on the iPad and iPhone, even though the Flash slideshow is not active on these devices. Fyi:
    http://www.skapenforandring.no/fjernadopsjon.htm