Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Loo Roll (One long page) website

Back in 2003 using Webstyle4 I created this http://web.onetel.com/~annemmerson/ which I call a loo roll website. It only has one page. Using Designer Pro x9 and the Import Text and Graphics from Web option I attempted to recreate the web page as I no longer had access to the site. Problem. It only imported 298 of its 9203 html lines despite unticking Lock Page Size. I then tried copying the page via Firefox and pasting it into the site but although it imported all the lines only 6662 could be seen. The page can not be extended. Am I doing something wrong or has Webstyle4 have the edge over Pro X9 in this instance.
    Thanks
    Emmo

Default Re: Loo Roll (One long page) website

Emmo, my personal view is that your list is a set of tabulated data (Census date, Location, Pub Name, Comments)

If it is reconstructed as an HTML table, you can use a sort and filter Widget to make it effectively searchable on one normal sized web page.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I think you may have reached the maximum depth.

That said, is there any reason why you don't want to break the pages as the information is broken?

I appreciate the OCD in you that wanted to make this one long page, but... It is an awful lot of text to scroll through.

Also, may I point out that in version 10 you can have a Supersite and you can opt to scroll horizontally or vertically through the pages. If you chose the vertical option, you could set up your pages by logical sections and your visitor can scroll what appears to be one continuous page.

Don't know how I would reconstruct it as an HTML table. Is it easy?

After listening to the site users it seemed they wanted to be able to make one search rather than several (22 if I separate by postcode). So for example searching for the Prince of Wales using Ctrl + F they may come to the pub they want if they didn't know where the pub was, rather than searching 22 pages for it. Of course I could add a search engine. Or I could reload Webstyle 4 to see if it works with Vista.
    Emmo

Info Re: Loo Roll (One long page) website

Quote Originally Posted by Emmo View Post
    Don't know how I would reconstruct it as an HTML table. Is it easy?
    The approach used in http://www.datatables.net/ is a table with a filtering search box that kicks in straight away and quickly filters down to a postcode, pub or spurious comment.

You can use something like the editor described here: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...Editor-Utility.
    Essentially, you are creating a structure around your data:
    Code:
    <table ><tbody>
    <tr>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>
    Each row is simply :<tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>, where the bold detail is replaced by your information.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Info Re: Loo Roll (One long page) website

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I think you may have reached the maximum depth.

That said, is there any reason why you don't want to break the pages as the information is broken?

I appreciate the OCD in you that wanted to make this one long page, but... It is an awful lot of text to scroll through.

Also, may I point out that in version 10 you can have a Supersite and you can opt to scroll horizontally or vertically through the pages. If you chose the vertical option, you could set up your pages by logical sections and your visitor can scroll what appears to be one continuous page.
    Here is a naive example that will quickly fit the requirement: WTLP.web.

Acorn