Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

xdp6 Layers and exporting pdf

Dear users

I wonder if you can help? I created a complex illustration in Designer Pro 6. I only have 1 layer in layer gallery, but because of transparencies etc, items are moved forwards and backwards to create depth. I always 'select all' and group items before exporting for print. When I then export the design as a 'high quality' pdf, it appears the pdf is still creating 'layers.' An online printing company has told me to 'flatten' pdf, to avoid problems with uploading the file. Is there something I'm missing? If I export the picture as a bitmap, then re-export as a pdf, will I lose quality of image. Is there a way of combining all the elements onto a single layer?

Thanks

Steelypan
    Last edited by steelypan; 13 December 2014 at 07:08 PM. Reason: typos!

Default Re: Layers and exporting pdf

The issue is with the PDF style itself. If they want a Luddite, flattened PDF you need to use a PDF style that flattens transparency, such as PDF/X-1a.

Do check your PDF afterwards in Adobe Reader or, best, Acrobat. You may see what are calle "stitching" lines where the flattened transparency occurs (they show up as thin white lines that do not get wider as you zoom in). These are expected and should not be seen in the print to a high-resolution print. Which means they can show up on consumer-grade printers. Not always, but often enough.

Mike

Thanks for reply. I've tried that - and the colour seems to alter significantly, and the pdf still seems to load in 'layer.' Are you saying the printer should be able to deal with the 'layered' pdf, they're just being awkward? (so in other words - find a better printer!).

What about the converting to bitmap and then exporting as pdf. Would there be a loss of quality do you think?

Chris

Hello Chris,

As long as you really have only one layer in your drawing, there will only be one layer in the PDF. There is always at least one layer in a PDF.

Your color shift is due to a difference between CMYK and RGB colorspaces. What "significantly" means without seeing your drawing is anyone's guess. The RGB colorspace is vastly larger than what can be printed using CMYK process inks. You should be using CMYK color to design with, or understand how that color will be changed in the printing process.

Depending upon your print service provider, you should also understand what technology they are using (like digital versus offset), you should hopefully be using a PDF output condition that matches their equipment to limit the ink to their requirements if at all possible, etc.

Where is this being printed?

Hi,

Sorry about the delay in reply...
    It was being printed by an online printer...Fileprint, but I was really using that as a proof. I want to get a better print for framing. Here is the original Xara file.

All the best

Chris
    Attached Files Attached Files

I don't like changing folks drawings it always feels like your interfere with them doing things that you shouldn't be doing. I have done quite a lot of landscapes for print and it's hard to get that feeling of distance and atmosphere in a vector drawing so can I make a few suggestions:

1. Make your background the size you want to make your picture
    2. Get your stacking order correct (I always write it down before I start, like hills, trees, building, clouds, house terraced, smoke)
    3. Use transparencies well in layers
    4. Use Layers
    5. Give distant objects a very slight blur
    6. Use Blends with transparencies to give depth and atmosphere
    7. Create bitmap copies (Shift+Ctrl+C) of the Blends/transparencies---> flattening you art work
    8. To preserve your original art work lock and hide layer after you created your bitmap copies
    9. Use Clipview to stop the overprint (Ctrl+A), then (Q)
    10. Before doing the last command Save your doc. the after doing Q Save As again with different Name

If you want me to show you my interpretation of your drawing please come back and say "I on you go, do your worst". Hope the comments mean something to you and it helps.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Just export to PDFX-1a and you'll be fine with your chosen printer.

You have elements that bleed, but not everything bleeds. If you want bleeds and they allow bleeds, you need to extend them a tad more and enable bleeds for the export. If they are printing to the size of paper you have set up, there will be a margin their equipment will impose on you.

But otherwise, the PDF/X-1a type of export (a flattened PDF) will do what you need it to.

Mike

Another efficient way to flatten your image, since there is no text, is to create a bitmap (TIFF or JPEG) from the entire image at 300dpi or higher if your printing company requires. This automatically flattens all the transparency and layers.

Then if the printer insists on a PDF, export the bitmap as PDF.

Also, create a rectangle the same size as the page, set the outline and fill to none and send it to the back. Select all and Apply Clipview. This masks everything inside the rectangle.

I do what Gary does - although I would avoid JPEG - TIFF or PNG
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I wouldn't if your happy with your drawing just do what Mike states and export in PDF X-1a that will flatten all the transparencies with no problem.
    Design is thinking made visual.